Tax Relief on Lump Sum Deduction for Spouses and Children's Pension Scheme

JohnKelly

Hi all,

I retired from a public service job during 2009. On my retirement, an amount of approximately €5,200 was deducted from the lump sum gratuity I received. This deduction was in respect of back contributions to the Spouse's and Children's Pension Scheme for prior years during which I had not contributed.

I understand that tax relief can be claimed on this deduction as it is regarded as a pension contribution. I am currently preparing my income tax return (Form 11E) for 2009. I am unsure as to how to claim this tax relief. Can I claim the full amount in my 2009 tax return, subject to Revenue's normal age-related limits for tax relief on pension contributions?

I have a friend who is a tax adviser and he had a quick look at the relevant tax legislation for me. The tax legislation stated that tax relief on this type of deduction may either be claimed in the year in which the deduction is made (2009 in my case) or may be allocated to prior years, at the direction of Revenue. However, he had not actually claimed this type of relief on behalf of any clients before so didn't know how it worked in practice.

If anyone has any experience of claiming this tax relief your suggestions would be well received. My main question is can I claim the full amount in my 2009 tax return or do I have to spread it over a number of years?

Thanks,

John.

John

The relief should be available based on the normal age related limits on pension contributions.

Where the contribution is in excess of the maximum amount of relief available the excess should be off set against a previous years tax liability.

Paul

Thanks for the reply Paul. On that basis, I should be able to claim all of it in my 2009 tax return.

John.

Back