Tax Implications of Inheriting House

F

fossilwatch

Hi All,

Am new to AAM so please shout at me if this is in the wrong section. I am trying to find out exactly what the tax implications are if I am willed a property. The background is this:

My mother is anxious to sort out her will (and doesn’t want to leave any of us with huge tax bills) and a decision on the family home has been reached in that it is to be willed to myself and my sister. Neither of us live at this property - we both have our own family homes. In looking up details of CAT, I reach a stumbling block at the point about CAT being payable if you haven’t lived in the residence in question for the previous six years.

My query really is this:

If the property is actually signed over to us prior to my mothers death, would this exempt us from paying inheritance tax or would there still be a gift tax applicable of the transfer of the deeds ?

Thanks,

Fossil.

If neither of you have had a gift/inheritance from a parent before then you are entitled to benefit of €521,208 each ( 2008 rates) before CAT is payable. See [broken link removed]

Thank you Graham, that clears that up.

I have just realised that my choice of username makes it look like I am anxiously awaiting my mothers demise, which is very definitely not the case. The username was inspired by my sparkly Fossil brand watch !!!

Back