Tax Free Allowance - both spouses?

L

litmoon

Hi,
We have left ireland, working in Europe now, but receive rent fom the house in Ireland and are due to pay income tax on it from this end .

My Q is can both my wife and myself put our tax free allowances against the rental income. Neither of us receive any other income from Ireland. In fact my wife receives no income currently at all.

When filling up the form online, there is no space to mention the wife's tax free allowance. Seem to remember being able to use both tax fee allowances against the rental income the last time we lived abroad.
Thanks

You will receive your tax cut-offs and tax credits (no such thing as tax-free allowances any more) in the proportion of your Irish income to your Worldwide income

So say you have a rental profit of €5K and other worldwide income of €45K. As your Irish income comprises 10% of your total income then you will receive 1/10th of your tax credits and cut-offs against your rental income.

I would presume therefore that your wife will therefore receive her full credits & cut-off entitlements

I'm pretty sure that there is somewhere to enter worldwide income on the form 11.

Back