Tax entitlements for my fiance who supports her family abroad

cathal79

Hi,Hi,
My girlfriend is a foreign national (non EU) who sends money home each month to support her mother, two sisters and brother. Her mother is 59years old and doesn't work. Her brother and sisters are still in college.

Her father died a number of years ago but wasn't married to her mother though they had been together for 25+ years.

Can anyone let me know if she would be entitled to any tax releif for this?

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.
My girlfriend is a foreign national (non EU) who sends money home each month to support her mother, two sisters and brother. Her mother is 59years old and doesn't work. Her brother and sisters are still in college.

Her father died a number of years ago but wasn't married to her mother though they had been together for 25+ years.

Can anyone let me know if she would be entitled to any tax releif for this?

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

There is a dependant relative credit but this is for supporting a relative who is incapacitated by old age or infirmity. You do not mention the mother being incapacitated in any way, and at 59 she is too young to qualify. The credit is very small anyway.
Your girlfriend may be able to claim tax relief on any medical expenses she has paid on her family's behalf, even when provided overseas. In 2009 relief is only given at the 20% rate, so again, this would not be worth much.
Not much help, when it must be quite a financial burden.

Back