Tax aspects of buying art for a company

Brendan Burgess

Founder
What are the tax implications for a company which buys art for its premises?

Capital Allowances
Am I right in saying that they can claim capital allowances at 12.5% per year for 8 years?

Capital Gains Tax

Presumably the company must pay 20% Capital Gains Tax on any profit on disposal?

VAT
If a painting is bought from a gallery which is registered for VAT, the gallery commission element is subject to VAT.
So the price might be as follows:
Artist: €500
Gallery: €500
Vat: €105
Selling price: €1105

I presume that a VAT registered purchaser cannot reclaim this VAT?

Brendan

What are the tax implications for a company which buys art for its premises?

Capital Allowances
Am I right in saying that they can claim capital allowances at 12.5% per year for 8 years?

Capital Gains Tax

Presumably the company must pay 20% Capital Gains Tax on any profit on disposal?

VAT
If a painting is bought from a gallery which is registered for VAT, the gallery commission element is subject to VAT.
So the price might be as follows:
Artist: €500
Gallery: €500
Vat: €105
Selling price: €1105

Brendan

This situ would be that the art is fixtures and fittings and you could claim the VAT and Wear and Tear Allowance at 12.5%. On sale you would have a balancing allowance and pay tax at your marginal rate or Corporation tax.

Yes, you're right. I bought an artwork for my company a couple of years ago in a Dublin gallery. I can't remember the exact details and haven't the receipt to hand, but I do recall the receipt specifically said the VAT element was not reclaimable.

Here's the detail from the Revenue website:
[broken link removed]

Last edited by a moderator:
Back