Switching Trade Unions

prettyboybaker

Hi All,

I'm wondering if anybody has any experience switching trade unions? Myself and a group of colleagues are currently represented by a large national union but we are beginning to believe we may be better served elsewhere. I've tried to find information on the process but I can't find much at all.

Thanks

Most unions are members of ICTU (the Irish Congress of Trade Unions) and there are rules against one union poaching from another. For representation to change there has to be a vote with quite a high threshold I think.

See here where one union had to pay another off when members left en masse!

Also does your employer have a recognition agreement in place with another union? They won't want to be negotiating with 2 and they won't want 2 unions on a site to avoid inter union disputes. Nothing to stop you joining another union but there is little or no legal obligation on your employer to recognise a 2nd one

Also does your employer have a recognition agreement in place with another union? They won't want to be negotiating with 2 and they won't want 2 unions on a site to avoid inter union disputes. Nothing to stop you joining another union but there is little or no legal obligation on your employer to recognise a 2nd one
There is a group of HSE Ambulance drivers who are now with the PNA and HSE won't negotiate with PNA, only SIPTU for ambulance issues.
I don't know if it's still the case.

Hi All,

I'm wondering if anybody has any experience switching trade unions? Myself and a group of colleagues are currently represented by a large national union but we are beginning to believe we may be better served elsewhere. I've tried to find information on the process but I can't find much at all.

Thanks
There a couple of things to consider. The employer recognition is the main thing. If the employer isn’t willing to engage with the proposed union, would it actually serve your interests to switch?

Even if it does, can you still have subs deducted from your salary or would you have to pay yourself?

If after these considerations you still want to join, contact the proposed union to ask about membership. As has been said, they may be reluctant to be seen to poach members. On the other hand, if you’re willing to leave the current union, this may be less of an issue.

There a couple of things to consider. The employer recognition is the main thing. If the employer isn’t willing to engage with the proposed union, would it actually serve your interests to switch?

Even if it does, can you still have subs deducted from your salary or would you have to pay yourself?

If after these considerations you still want to join, contact the proposed union to ask about membership. As has been said, they may be reluctant to be seen to poach members. On the other hand, if you’re willing to leave the current union, this may be less of an issue.
I am a member of two unions

Back