Switching to Tesco credit card midyear

Suze456

Hi all, I'm considering getting a Tesco credit card to get the club card points, as they are great for boosting and I'm not near a Tesco.

Any feedback on Tesco credit card? Is it widely accepted abroad? (Also have Visa debit card)

And how do I avoid paying the stamp duty twice, do I have to close my 1st credit card account before signing up for Tesco one?

I thought Tesco had closed all Tesco Banking operations in Ireland. Cards, insurances, loans, etc. They continue to service existing customers but are closed for new business.

Hi all, I'm considering getting a Tesco credit card to get the club card points, as they are great for boosting and I'm not near a Tesco.

Any feedback on Tesco credit card? Is it widely accepted abroad? (Also have Visa debit card)

And how do I avoid paying the stamp duty twice, do I have to close my 1st credit card account before signing up for Tesco one?

Pros:
- Reward card.
- No cap on the reward unlike KBC and AIB Platnium.
- Good freephone customer support.

Cons:
- No online banking.
- No contactless support.
- No app.
- Some people have questioned Tesco Bank's long term commitment to Ireland given that this is their last product and they don't seem to be investing in future proofing it.

It's accepted worldwide at any place that accepts Visa.

You don't need to close your existing credit card before getting the Tesco card, but you will need a letter of closure from your old card issuer when want to close your old account provider to forward to Tesco to avoid paying stamp duty twice.

They are ok to deal with on the phone. The lack of online banking is a pain. I think once you make a cash advance on this you pay interest on full balance immediately (not sure on this?) + the cash advance fee. Other cards such as TSB ICE are cheaper than this.
However in terms of the rewards this card is excellent. This quarter I will get over 50 Euro in tesco vouchers (this is more than what I usually get) which can then be trebled for tesco mobile bill pay credit. Tesco mobile are cheap and operate on the 3 network. My use of tesco credit card plus a small amount of shopping in tesco + bonus points almost covers my phone package of 30 Euro a month. As long as it pays as much points as now I will keep it. The rewards are far better than what you currently get in the UK.

lack of online/mobile banking is the dealbreaker for me - I had the card, but got fed up having to ring them up to check my balance, particularly when they seemed to switch the automated phone service off when the office was closed! The rewards are good, but in other respects it's like a credit card from the 1990s.

They have online banking for the UK version of the card, that they haven't bothered to introduce it here after all this time suggests they don't care much about this product.

No online banking is a pain alright and sometimes the bill can be slow arriving in the mail.

But the rewards are the business. I rarely shop in Tesco but the majority of my day to day spend goes on the credit card (rarely use cash). This all adds up to points and multiply x 4 when getting a deal.
So the ferry to France next year for the family holiday costing €1,200 will be paid for entirely by Tesco vouchers. Thats 2 years worth of Tesco points.

It is far from online access but you can get a good idea of what you spent on the card by checking online your clubcard statement. This will update about 2 working days after making a payment.
I agree with Delboy that sometimes the bills are very slow arriving.

Back