Supplementary Pension + superan question

E

egl

Have been trying to get more information on this for a couple of acquaintances who are affected: I hope I can make my self clear on the situation.
As I understand it, since 1995 entrants to public service superannuation scheme pay PRSI class A and pension is calculated on a co-ordinated basis .ie. superann would pay pension entitlement less the amount of the contributory old age pension.
However, as contributory pension is not payable until age 66, the shortfall must be made up, in the case of a person retiring at for example age 59. This is where the 'supplementary pension' comes in.

What my acquaintances have discovered is that there is a condition attached to the 'supplementary pension' to the effect that it is not payable if the pensioner undertakes any employment for which PRSI has to be paid. So it would appear that taking on extra work will cancel itself out to the amount of the supplementary pension.

This will also affect public service personnel who are currently on D rate PRSI if they buy back service, because it seems that the bought back years have to be on the co-ordinated basis, so part of their pension in regard to those years

Any further clarification would be greatly appreciated.

Wrong date

Should be 1995 in line 2 of previous post

Last edited by a moderator:
Egl,

What part of the public service are they in HSE, Local Authority (LA), Civil Service etc?
Supplementary pensions as I understand are paid to a PRSI class A person (it is not payable to a D class person) who retires before 65/66 and are not in receipt of social welfare or working. Supplementary pensions are normally not paid before minimum retirement age of 60.

Are you referring to actual previous service they are paying for or are you referring to purchasing notional service?
It seems strange that the service they are paying for would classed as different PRSI class after it is bought. It is possible for a person to pay for temporary PRSI A class service although they now may be in a permanent D class post. All the service then I believe should be counted as D class service.

You should advise for them to contact their HR department.

E

Related to this issue: My wife retired last year aged 59. Employed by VEC as teacher since 1997. On small pension now from VEC and entitled to apply for Supplementary Pension @ 60. However she is currently on Job Seekers Benefit. When that expires is she entitled to apply for Supplementary and will the fact that she had been on Job Seekers Benefit affect her application? She has not worked since retirement. She will not qualify for any means tested payments because of my pension.

On small pension now from VEC and entitled to apply for Supplementary Pension @ 60. However she is currently on Job Seekers Benefit. When that expires is she entitled to apply for Supplementary and will the fact that she had been on Job Seekers Benefit affect her application?

No shell get it from whenever she stops getting SW payments

Back