"Superdraw Ireland" Scam?

A

ajapale

"Superdraw Ireland" Scam?

A friend of mine has recieved a letter from "Superdaw Ireland" telling her that she has won a prize worth several thousand euros from their "gold box". All she has to do is ring a premium rate number to claim her prize.

Its obviously a scam but I was wondering has anyone else come accross "Superdraw Ireland" and should she report them to the regulators?

Thanks ajapale.

The letter was recieved in the South West of the country.

Its obviously a scam but I was wondering has anyone else come accross "Superdraw Ireland" and should she report them to the regulators?

Chances are it is within the law even if it is arguably a bit of a scam. Read the small print and see if they reference any legislation. Post the junk mail back to them marked "not known at this address". Put any additional junk mail that you might have in as well if you like.

Funnily enough I received one of those letters recently. On the letter was a list of 6 people and their areas, who were due to get prizes. There was loads of small print about how the prizes were preallocated and there was no question of skill.

I will admit, I was tempted enough to keep the letter and not throw it in the bin.

But

I was in my parents house the next day, which is a completely different area. Surprise, surprise there was a letter there for my sister, with her name in the same spot where my name was in my letter - but the other names were the same.

That was enough to relegate it to the shredder ;)

On the letter was a list of 6 people and their areas,

My wife got one too with her full name and address down as a "winner" along with others like "Mr. Joe Bloggs, Dundalk, Co. Louth" - i.e. very general address details excluding street names or house numbers. From that and the premium phone charges levied for claiming one's "prize" it was obviously a bin job.

They appear to just lift the address from the Electoral Register and do a mail merge

My wife got one and the address is our Electoral ward not the actual postal address

I think consideration should be given by Government regards these scamsters. Elderly persons and others do not fully understand premium phone costs, nor the fact that it could be a scam. So many believe the written word.

Back