Successful case against Aviva on unit linked whole of life policy/ 6 year rule

twofor1

Background

I have a unit linked personal pension policy that includes life cover with Aviva Life & Pensions.

In 2000 I suspended payments, the pension benefit was then marked ‘’paid up’’. The company advised life cover remained in force and the cost of providing this benefit was deducted from the policy fund.

The company also advised in 2000, in writing, that I could pay a reduced premium for life cover only, to protect my pension fund. I instructed the company, in writing, to proceed with this arrangement. I have been paying this premium ever since, indexed at 5% annually.

In August 2012 the provider, following a review, advised me of a 340% increase in premium (Not a typo, 340% instead of the usual 5%) to maintain my life cover. They stated that the current cost of life cover was far greater than my premium, that this cost was being deducted over the years from my pension fund, which would soon be depleted, so that an increase in premium was now required to maintain cover over the remaining term. Based on their projections, even with the increased premium, I would also have no pension fund value at retirement age.

This was news to me as I always understood I had an arrangement in place whereby I paid for life cover in full to protect my small pension fund. This arrangement also meant I knew exactly how much I was paying for life cover and exactly how much it would be increased by each year.

Complaints procedure

I followed the complaints procedure with the provider to no avail and so took my case to the Ombudsman. The Ombudsman would not investigate my complaint, quoting the six year rule and saying it was six years from when the conduct complained of occurred and not from when one became aware of it.

I resubmitted my complaint, stating that while the conduct complained of first occurred twelve years ago, this same conduct was repeated every year thereafter to date, and that my complaint now only related to the previous six years. My complaint was then accepted by the Ombudsman as being within his remit.

My complaint

The provider for the past six years used my pension fund to supplement the cost of life cover. This was despite an arrangement being in place to pay for life cover and protect my pension fund. (I sent a copy of the letter from the provider offering this facility dated March 2000 and a letter dated June 2001 confirming life cover was currently being maintained through a monthly direct debit).

Scheduled reviews were not carried out in accordance with the T&Cs, the shortcomings that became apparent after the 2012 review would have been apparent much earlier and I could have dealt with them accordingly at that stage, had reviews been carried out.

Annual statements were only issued for some years and were misleading and vague.

Provider’s argument

Premiums index linked at 5% ‘’Contribute’’ but do not ‘’specifically fund’’ the cost of life cover.

The providers are entitled under the T&Cs to cash units as required to pay for life cover. The cost of providing cover is greater than the premium being paid, so the additional cost has been deducted from the pension fund.

There was an onus on the policy holder to read the policy and supporting documentation and be familiar with its workings and features.

Had scheduled reviews been carried out there would have been no need to increase the premium then payable, the first increase would only have been required after the 2012 review.

What I Wanted

Monies taken over the last six years from my pension fund, to supplement the cost of life cover, returned to my pension fund.

Main points of Ombudsman’s Finding

’The statements that were issued did not assist in any manner in clarifying the true position, or to identify the issues which are the subject of this complaint’’

The Ombudsman accepted that the policy allowed for cancellation of units to supplement the cost of life cover, but this was over ridden by the undertakings given by the company in their letters dated March 2000 and June 2001.

Consequently ‘’I find the company should in this instance be limited to charging the (indexed) premium agreed in March 2000 in respect of the life insurance benefit and that they should reimburse any additional amounts charged by deduction of units from the policy fund, to the policy fund. The Company should within 30 days of the date of this finding write to the Complainant confirming the amount of the required reimbursement and confirming that such reimbursement has been made.’’

The Ombudsman also noted the provider failed to carry out scheduled reviews in previous years stating; ‘’ whilst this may not have caused a financial impact on the complainant, it shows poor administration by the company. Had the reviews been conducted it could have brought the matter of policy reviews to the Complainant’s attention at an earlier date. I find that the company should pay €300 compensation to the Complainant for any inconvenience caused by these errors.’’

Conclusion

For the reasons outlined above the complaint is upheld pursuant to section 57 C1 (2) (g) of the Central Bank and Financial Services Authority of Ireland Act 2004.

End Result

€7K has since been reimbursed to my pension fund and €300 compensation has been received.

Point of note regarding six year rule

I think it is worth pointing out to those who only become aware of an issue after six years, that just because the conduct complained of first occurred more than six years ago, this might not preclude them from making a complaint for the previous six years only.

Six years refunds are far better than no refunds.

twofor1

That is great news for you and a good practical decision by the FSO.

Your report is extremely useful and will motivate others to pursue complaints with diligence and determination.

They stated that the current cost of life cover was far greater than my premium, that this cost was being deducted over the years from my pension fund, which would soon be depleted, so that an increase in premium was now required to maintain cover over the remaining term

Have you any idea of how much they had deducted from you?

Given that the FSO has ruled in your favour, I think you have a very strong moral case for the company to refund you all the money, and not to depend on the 6 year rule. Of course, you have no legal right to this.

But I think you should make the case that they have acted improperly and should refund the money.

In the event that they do not refund it, you should report them to the Central Bank. You won't get any satisfaction from the CB directly, but it's the type of thing which might prompt them to investigate. You have nothing to lose by such a report.

Brendan

Have you any idea of how much they had deducted from you?

I know exactly how much was taken each year. I had asked for this when I became aware of the problem. The Ombudsman also asked the provider for this. Initially the amounts were small but increased each year by around 19%, so most was taken in later years.

I was unsure though, exactly how much would be reimbursed but was surprised to be informed by the provider that this amount was only €4K.

I queried this with the Ombudsman who asked the provider to explain.

Would you believe it, there was a ‘’Miscommunication’’ and the correct amount should be nearly €3K more.

The provider apologised and provided copies of the calculations from their Actuaries, along with a limp explanation of how the error occurred.

The Ombudsman said he is confident that this brings a satisfactory conclusion to this matter.

I will not be taking this matter any further, as you say there is no legal obligation on the provider to give me any more and I don’t think the word ‘’moral’’ is in their dictionary,

The Ombudsman would not investigate my complaint, quoting the six year rule and saying it was six years from when the conduct complained of occurred and not from when one became aware of it.

Has there ever been a suggestion that this rule should be revised to make it 6 years from the issue coming to light, rather than from when it actually happened? Some companies are very good at hiding their misdealings, and it seems unfair that they should get away with it.

Seagull;

The 6 year rule is one of the big bug bears on Payment Protection Insurance mis-sells(my work)
If you check in PPI/ Ombudsman/Central Bank threads that issue always comes up.

I am told there is a review on the application of 6 year rule, due last Dec on this rule ,but I hear nothing since.

It is simply unfair.

There may, just may, be one other possible avenue: Aviva's head office is in London. So, while Aviva Ireland is regulated for conduct of business by the Irish apparatus, the UK apparatus does not have the same 6 year bar (to the same rigid extent as we do). Thus, it may be possible to make a case which the home country authority would need to process...I'd need to give this some thought...

Twofor1, I am in a similar situation regarding the 6 year rule and continued overcharging by a lender. They reverted stating that I am outside the 6 yrs but I reverted saying that the overcharging is still occurring.

They are reviewing my point similar to yours so fingers crossed!

Great, I’m stunned more are not trying this approach, 6 years refunds are far better than no refunds.

Please come back and let us know if the FSO accepts your complaint for the 6 years only, and of course if accepted, let us know how you get on.

Thanks twofor1. Would it be cheeky of me. To ask you to PM me your case ref as I may be able to strengthen my case if I can show that a similar situation was looked at.

Well done twofor1.

Those unit linked life cover plans are nothing but a hassle. Cheap as chips when you are young and the chances of you dying are slim. But as you get older and the actuarial chances of you dying increases, there are massive increases in the cost and it eats into your pension, just when you need as much money to go into your pension as possible.

Steven
www.bluewaterfp.ie

Back