Submitting SE 3 Form & social security woes!

esperanza2

I am self-employed and have just realised that I didn't send off Form SE 3, hence haven't been paying social security contributions for the past tax year. Oops! Well, I've starting filling in the form and got stuck when I came to Question 23., which reads:
Were you ever covered by social insurance outside the State?

If 'yes' please state:
Country
Address while there
Social insurance number
Periods covered by social insurance

I have worked abroad as an employee on various occasions, but on some of these I apparently did not register for a social security number (as it doesn't feature on any of my pay slips), although I had been deducted social insurance from my pay slips. It does sound weird, but in any case, I guess I'll just have to contact the authorities in the countries in question to see if I did actually register for social security or not. If not, that means my contributions will never be recognised when it comes to calcualting my pension when I reach 65.

Question 1: Will the social welfare office penalise me for only sending in Form SE 3 now (i.e. before October 31)?

Question 2: Does the Irish social welfare office have a way of checking whether, and if yes for which periods, I was paying social security insurance in other EU countries?

Question 3: Can I send off this Form without the social security numbers and provide them at a later stage? (i could add a note explaining ??)

I'd be very grateful to hear from anyone who could answer one or all of the above questions, someone has been in a similar situation to myself or indeed possesses some legal knowledge of this matter. Meanwhile, I'm off to phone here and there to see what I can do...
aarggh!!

Back