Stoves not heating rads

RichieCorr

i have a Stratford Ebh20'stove with about 15 rads. Burning turf and logs. Rads never seem to heat up other than Luke warm, even with the fire on all day. If I switch on the oil boiler the rads are hopping. I even tried to switch off the water on the tank so the hot water goes to the rads from the stove...but to no effect. I can't seem to figure it out. Any tips on how to check fo problems. The pump is attached to a thermostat on the return pipe I think. I've adjusted this every which way. The pump works. Any ideas are welcome. Our water tank is a 300 litre 3 way tank with oil boiler, stove and solar connections.

One single 1,000 x 500 high radiator outputs approx 1kw. So if you have 15 rads and if we average them at 1.5kw each, that's 22.5kw demand plus 3kw for the cylinder coil so that's 25.5kw total. Allow 10% for pipework losses and we're now at 28kw.
If your stove is 75% efficient, you get approx 3kw per kg of logs and turf, so you would need to be burning approx 12.5 kg of fuel to get the heat you are looking for!

Me thinks you will need a conveyor belt feeding your stove....

thanks Shane007, When I use coal with my other fuels and keep it well fed the rads come up to a decent heat. but as you say its stove with a big belly :)

Back