Storage heaters...again!

C

Cherrycola

I am currently looking to rent a house and because we have cats, who are very "talkative", there are not as many options available to us.
However we have found a house that is perfect in every way, except it has storage heaters. :(

My immediate reaction to storage heaters is to stay well away from them as our electricity bills will be huge, however the agent(yeah, he works on commission!;) ) has said they are very economical if used properly, and not many people use them properly, but im not convinced. :confused:

We are moving home from the middle east so heating will be a major priority for us for the next few months anyway, so can anyone give us some unbiased thoughts about storage heaters?

Are we going to be freezing come evening time cos all the heat will be released during the day??(i always felt the cold when i lived in Ireland anyway!) Im only used to being able to flick a switch and have instant heat. :(
And are we going to have a whopper of an ESB bill?
Its a fairly large house, 4 bedrooms, 2 storey, large hallway and staircase, but it is timber frame, and probably about 8yrs old, so im guessing insulation should be to a high standard. There are also fireplaces in both reception rooms, so an open fire is an option too.

Also, do they work for heating water? or is that limited to an immersion? (im hearing Des Bishop scream "And you had it on Bath as well!!!!!" :D )

I really love this house and this is the only drawback about it. Do you think its reasonable to ask for some money to be knocked off the rent because of the more expensive heating?

Also should the landlord be forthcoming with previous winter esb bills so we can get a rough idea of what they have been paying in the past? Ive asked for them but heard nothing back from the agent yet.
And should i be asking to see a BER cert, and would that have any useful information on it?

Sorry about all the questions, but as im trying to organise all this from abroad and cant actually physically go to see the house yet, its hard to know what to do

Thanks

C

cherrycola....

electricity costs on average 3 times as much as gas / oil per unit of energy.

If you are considering renting, DEMAND to see the dwellings Building Energy Rating (BER) before you make any decision. Any landlord that refuses, simply walk away. The BER is a rating system specifically designed to do what you are asking.... its compares properties energy usage.

You will find an apartment with storage heaters and electric immersion heating will get usually a G rating (an F if very very lucky)... where as a similar apartment on gas will get around a D rating (depending on age of unit....

I'm a landlady and wouldn't be able to give you the ESB bills for my property for the last year, as the tenants have the bills.

Maybe the ESB would provide them to the landlord...might be data protection issues?

I've been in your shoes, looking to rent a property abroad with a pet and its VERY difficult, especially cats. So I see the storage heating issue as minor.

On the other hand I urge to to actually see or get someone you trust to visit the house before signing.

We choose a fab house on the internet, but flew over to check it out physically and it was a complete tip. There were photos galore and even a video on the net...but all tastefully presented.

No harm in asking for a rent reduction, but I suspect if they are taking cats they have already tried the reduction route....but no harm in asking.

My immediate reaction to storage heaters is to stay well away from them as our electricity bills will be huge, however the agent(yeah, he works on commission!;) ) has said they are very economical if used properly, and not many people use them properly, but im not convinced. :confused:

I would agree with the agent here, many people who complain about storage heaters haven't taken the time to find out how they work.

For a two bed flat, which was north facing, it cost about €50 per month for the heating. The main power usage is done at night, when you're paying less for the electricity.

What you essentially have is two dials, one controlling how much heat you want, and one for how the heat comes out.
The heat goes from 1-6, best plan is to set it at 3 to begin, and you can adjust if needed later. The output will have a few settings, such as same heat all day, boost in afternoon, boost in evening, and you choose whichever one suits the times you will be home.
Then leave it alone for a few days, and see how you find it.

As each radiator is controlled individually, you can have different settings for each room. Also, you don't have to worry about putting the heating on for longer if its very cold, the controller will take care of it and make sure you get the heat you ask for.

Hot water is separate, and will be off an immersion.

...If you are considering renting, DEMAND to see the dwellings Building Energy Rating (BER) before you make any decision. Any landlord that refuses, simply walk away. The BER is a rating system specifically designed to do what you are asking.... its compares properties energy usage.....

I agree about electric heating costs; it's too high imho.

However, on the BER thing, I would say this: demand one all you like, and if you get an..........F/G one etc - so what ? It seems to me that your cat issue is the major one, and after that you pick the best available.

I could be reading this wrong, but finding and A/B/C etc one is all well and good........but irrelevant if they don't allow pets.

Expensive cats, huh ? :D

I agree about electric heating costs; it's too high imho.

However, on the BER thing, I would say this: demand one all you like, and if you get an..........F/G one etc - so what ? It seems to me that your cat issue is the major one, and after that you pick the best available.

I could be reading this wrong, but finding and A/B/C etc one is all well and good........but irrelevant if they don't allow pets.

Expensive cats, huh ? :D

You're telling me!!!:rolleyes:

Ive since had a family member go and view the house, and yes, it seems the photos online were very deceiving!!
They said the house was FREEZING, and there was damp in one of the bedrooms and ensuite, and a window left open, probably to disguise the damp smell. :eek:

So we've decided this one is a non runner, the search continues. We have another house in our sights that may just be the one, cats are welcome and its got oil heating. ;)

Thanks for all your help everyone. :)

However, on the BER thing, I would say this: demand one all you like, and if you get an..........F/G one etc - so what ?

obviously the discerning renter must list their priorities..... so be it if cat is above cost....

but, when all things are considered equal or irrelevant, a BER is a way of choosing between two similar buildings....

Back