State Savings (NTMA) bonds and certs looking good

Thats a fair point, it is very much an "age related" decision, and other personal circumstances, so it maybe not be suitable for you, but suits me better, probably because I am 47.

"Is there a particular reason for that timeline, or, are rates reviewed at that time each year ?"

NTMA have reduceded rates before on bank holiday weekends - that's all I've got to go on, so purely speculative and I may well be wrong.

"Is there a particular reason for that timeline, or, are rates reviewed at that time each year ?"

NTMA have reduceded rates before on bank holiday weekends - that's all I've got to go on, so purely speculative and I may well be wrong.

Thats more than I have. nice tip. Had planned on making a Post Office visit next week anyway.

Hi all

Been looking at the 10 year bond lately. Do people think the rate will change on this soon ?

Am i right in saying to get these i need to fill out the application form, wait for my identity to be confirmed..then go to a post office an open one?

Can i not just walk into a post office and as for a 10 year bond?

Yes you can walk into a post office with your fully completed application form and necessary documentation e.g. driving licence or passport, utility bills etc. Post office clerk will even photo copy them for you and hand you your documents back. You will get a receipt for your purchase of the bond.

I invested in the 5.5 yr saving certificate in March, brought in all the necessary documentation which they photocopied etc. If I want to invest again in the 10 year do I need to bring all that in again. I vaguely remember them mentioning that from now on I would only need my customer number. Is this true?

Yes. Once you have one account number to put on the new form you are good to go. I have opened five 5.5yr saving certs over the past twelve months and I was in and out of the Post Office in five minutes.

For any new purchases of state savings, you still have to bring in all these items every time you want to purchase these products.

Acceptable Payments Types:
Debit cards, Cash, Personal Cheque, but there may be a limit on your debit card.
I usually use a bank draft as I no longer have cheques, and conscious of the limits on debit cards, which vary considerably.

Cheques or bankdrafts must be made out to "NTMA State Savings".

ID Checks:

Photo ID - e.g. Drivers Licence or passport
Proof of Address - e.g. a untility bill in your name
Proof of PPS Number - e.g. tax credit list from revenue

Have the application form fully completed before you go up to the counter, if you don't you will be sent to the back of the line, like I was today !!

Application forms are downloadable here:
[broken link removed]

Last edited:
I presume they are still sending out a Card when you purchase your first 4 or 10 year solidarity bond. This is all you need with your money for future purchases.

NTMA have reduced rates before on bank holiday weekends - that's all I've got to go on, so purely speculative and I may well be wrong.

I wish I was wrong - had some money to invest and was thinking I should head up to the Post Office with a cheque and get a new 4 year bond yesterday - shrugged it off and said I'll go next Saturday - bit sick today and only myself to blame.

I was lucky to get the 10 year bond at 25%, the week before rates were cut to 16%. it seems there is no end in sight, to interest rate reductions. It's hard to believe,that the 10 year bond was yielding 50%, just 3 years ago(with 4/5ths of that paid Dirt Free).

Could someone answer me a question I have regarding the 6yr ChildCar Plus account?

Basically at present we would like to open account for our 3 kids and have their child benefit paid into it.
I was reading the blurb for it, and it says that 12 months money is paid into it, which is then kept for another 5 years.

So is this account only available to store 1 years money? I want account where it continually rolls, with money going into every month for the foreseeable future.

Does this account not suit this purpose? Would I need to keep opening a new account every year and putting in another 12 months money?

You don't need to open a new account every year. After the end of year one, the balance in the account is pushed off to another account where is stays for another 5 years. You'll end up with multiple accounts eventually but you get annual statements detailing the amounts in each.
At the end of the 6 years, you can re-invest in a bond or just withdraw it.

Yeah I understand that, but its obviously no good for continuous savings.
It will mean always opening a new account every year, which is far from convenient.

DLD, they roll the accounts automatically. You don't have to open a new one every year - it automatically happens.

From what I can gather, the 10 year Irish bonds are trading at just over 0.41% and 5 year bonds are trading at a negative rate.

Surely, if one can afford to lock the money away for this long, the current rate of 1.5% APR on 10 year bonds and 0.98% on 5 year certificates is a no-brainer for the safe part of my portfolio?

Back