Startup setting up offices abroad

pippa175

We are a tech startup and for purposes of raising finance and hiring we need to set up a US and a UK office.

What is the easiest and most cost effective way to do this?

I work in finance, but want to be a tech start-up.

What is the easiest and most cost effective way to do this?

(There is so little information given in the opening-post - to render any answers as immediately almost hopelessly vague)

OP is not saying they work in finance, they are saying they are in fund raising mode for a tech start up

First port of call should be Enterprise Ireland. They can provide advise and guidance for a start up with strong export potential. Secondly, try and find someone who has done this before.

This will also give some advice and information
[broken link removed]

We are a tech startup in fund raising mode.

Maybe this isn't the best place to post this question.

Thanks for reply re EI and startupireland. We will approach EI about this. I was just hoping to get a feel for possible routes myself before doing so.

We have found some answers wrt the US, using a PEO to set up an umbrella company around an employee is a good start.

Was interested in pros and cons of different mechanisms using the PEOs vs setting up Delaware wholly owned subsidiary.

Would alse be interested to know what is the easiest approach in the UK. UK angels require a significant presence to avail of tax incentives. I was wondering if anyone on the board had experience or advice on this?

Enterprise Ireland are surprisingly good at this stuff.
They will be able to answer your questions and possibly point you at someone who has done this before for advice.

Enterprise Ireland are surprisingly good at this stuff.
They will be able to answer your questions and possibly point you at someone who has done this before for advice.

Surprisingly? Surely it's what they do, no?

According to themselves: "Enterprise Ireland is the government organisation responsible for the development and growth of Irish enterprises in world markets. We work in partnership with Irish enterprises to help them start, grow, innovate and win export sales in global markets."

They would be the natural first port of call, OK.

I'd also agree best to speak with someone who's done it before. As it happens, I did, though it was 10+ years ago, so my experience is probably out of date. One piece of advise I'd have is in taking care when dealing with law firms in the US: they will try and persuade you to spend large amounts for questionable benefits. Recruiting in the US is also something of a minefield: every person you meet will present themselves as the sole reason their previous employer was a success. If you can find someone locally here who has experience of working in the US who's willing to return, it might be a better option.

Surprisingly? Surely it's what they do, no?

According to themselves: "Enterprise Ireland is the government organisation responsible for the development and growth of Irish enterprises in world markets. We work in partnership with Irish enterprises to help them start, grow, innovate and win export sales in global markets."

They would be the natural first port of call, OK.
My experience of interacting with State institutions has left me with the view that for the most part they have delusions of adequacy. The overseas offices of EI are generally very good. Many of the people based in Ireland are not very good. In general the younger they are the better they are. Just my experience over the last 15 years.

I'd also agree best to speak with someone who's done it before. As it happens, I did, though it was 10+ years ago, so my experience is probably out of date. One piece of advise I'd have is in taking care when dealing with law firms in the US: they will try and persuade you to spend large amounts for questionable benefits. Recruiting in the US is also something of a minefield: every person you meet will present themselves as the sole reason their previous employer was a success. If you can find someone locally here who has experience of working in the US who's willing to return, it might be a better option.
Good advice.

My experience of interacting with State institutions has left me with the view that for the most part they have delusions of adequacy. The overseas offices of EI are generally very good. Many of the people based in Ireland are not very good. In general the younger they are the better they are. Just my experience over the last 15 years.

A little harsh, perhaps, on your general point (my experience is that there's been a huge improvement in the last 5 years or so), but in general I'd agree with your view on EI.

Back