Starting up a business - what type of structure and supports?

Seaswims

Hello,
I am planning to set up a company with 2 others. It was initially very clear to us that the way to go would be setting up a private limited company with the 3 of us being directors with equal share distribution. This is our first time getting involved in something other than PAYE work and having done our research ( CRO, Revenue, other resources on line, seeking advice from company formation agencies, etc.), we seem to have come up with more questions than answers at this stage! I will try to outline our situation and our questions as clearly as possibly below. I apologise in advance for the long post.

Background about the company we intend to set up:

· Company business: the development of a retail franchise business in Ireland and the UK ( this is already established for a number of years and growing quite rapidly in Spain and Portugal. We would be agents for Ireland & UK.) We would be:

o advertising and promoting the franchise company with a view to find prospective franchisees

o supporting these businesses on the ground on their day-to-day running

· Products and invoicing structure: The products will be imported from Italy & Portugal. Import/shipping and invoicing to future Irish & UK franchisees will be done directly by the franchise owner company ( based in Portugal), not by us.

· How would we make money?: Our company's income would be in the form of a fee from the franchise owner company ( we would get a set fee for every franchise shop that we open here + a percentage fee for on-going orders from the shops) .

· Our initial investment: apart from our time, something in the order of €2,000 - €3,000 each for advertising here and in the UK, set up and administration etc.

· Location: we intend to set up the company in Ireland. We will not require offices.

· Our current, individual situation: The two others are employed full time ( one in Ireland, one in Spain) I am currently unemployed - not getting benefits/ allowances, but signing for credited contributions.

· Company size: we do not intend to make any hires in the foreseeable future.

Our questions

Based on the above:

· Is the structure of a Ltd company with 3 directors with equal share holding the most appropriate for us?

· Because I am currently unemployed, I will be doing most of the initial research and related tasks- we have drafted an agreement between us that reflects this and how each of us will be remunerated based on the amount of activity carried out etc. We don’t envisage that we will be bringing in any money for at least 4-6 months. Are there other considerations that we should be thinking of at this stage? Tax implications for them or effect on my signing on for credits?

· I have contacted the Local Enterprise Office for advice and have an appointment in 3 weeks’ time. Are there additional start-up supports that would suit our type of business? We do not require investment or a loan. There seem to be a lot of organisations out there ( I have also seen the posts here from May on the subject of somebody trying to put together a list with all of this information and links) However, when you look into the detail, it is hard to figure out where to go to – we are not a HPSU, we are not creating a new or innovative product or service, we will not be exporting or hiring staff…

-If we go down the Ltd company route: with regards to the authorised share capital ( as required when incorporating a ltd. company), I see that this is an arbitrary figure and that, in order to avoid having to increase it at a later stage, the recommendation seems to be to set it up as high as €1,000,000. I am finding it difficult to grasp the implications of this ( have asked a couple of company formation agencies that you find on-line, with a view to engage them in setting this up, but replies are a bit slow and unclear). Is €1,000,000 the norm? Is this basically a formality at the point of incorporation?

Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

Cant help with the supports, just some random comments.

There are two stages in the capital structure: Authorised and then issued and paid up
I have the same big number for authorised, but just 2 shares issued and paid up.
Maybe google issued and paid up..
You will need a registered office so whose house?
You also need to decide about who will act as company secretary.

Three directors: majority voting?
The company will be a close company under the tax rules so maybe look at that.
Being a company director triggers late tax filing fines and looks at if your LPT is paid etc...:)

Finally, 10k seems a very small barrier to entry so make sure the paperwork is kosher!
Also are you taking money from franchisees that may need to be ring fenced?
Are there cash availability thresholds for franchisees, if I recall correctly, McD's is 250k
Who will vet them for credit worthiness?

You can be a shareholder of the company without being either an employee or a director and your distribution could be by way of dividend, which may not impact on the credits, I repeat may not, I don't know.

Thank you for your response, Branz. You raise some very valid points and questions :)

The capital structure that you mention seems to be the norm, from what I can find online.

I agree that the entry fee is small. It is one of the reasons why we are considering taking this on board. The company is only starting to expand internationally now, so owners not yet in a position to charge high territory rights. I had a solicitor review the paperwork and it seems fine.

Will certainly look into the shareholder option and ensure that we are clear in our own minds about the other items that you raise .

One last question re: your comment about franchisees that may need to be ring fenced. What do you mean? We will not be taking money from franchisees ourselves. All transactions ( ordering, invoicing etc) will be done between the owner company and the franchisees directly without our involvement ( we will have visibility of the ordering activity but will not be an active party)

thanks again!

Back