Starting new job in December - holidays

galgal5003

Hi,

I am starting a new job on December 5th. I get 20 days annual leave (accrued on a monthly basis) in addition to public holidays. It states in the company handbook that the leave year operates from Jan-Dec. The company shuts down over Christmas so I will need to take 3/4 days leave - will this be taken from my 20 day holiday allowance or will I just not be paid for these days?

Thanks.

Rough calculation 20/12 =1.67 means you will have a holiday entitlement of roughly 1.50 to 1.67 for 2016. Any time off dictated by the business over and above this and your bank-holiday entitlements will presumably be deducted from your wages.

Depending on company policy etc. they may also give you the option to take them out of next year's allowance instead or deducting them from your wages.

Where I work if the place is closed the new employee would just get paid. It's not like they have a choice in the matter.
In the greater scheme of things what's a few days pay when someone will, hopefully, be working there for years.

Back