Starting my pension what should I look out for?

Of course there's commission for a broker for arranging a pension. As I said, the charges I quote above include commission and charges. Even after commission and charges to the pension company, the customer still gets 95% of each and every contribution invested, subject then only to a 1% annual fund management charge. This is the charge for any Standard PRSA from any company. Some online brokers arrange PRSAs with even lower charges than this. Google PRSA and see.

I think you're mistaking a written illustration with a forecast. Any written ilustration anyone receives from any pension company clearly states that it is NOT a forecast/prediction nor intended as such. It's merely an illustration of what your fund could be worth IF certain assumptions made are met.

Google "Approved Retirement Fund Death" and you'll see that an Approved Retirement Fund can be inherited 100%.

As regards my own family, over the years I've arranged both pensions and finance for house purchases for family members. I'll certainly be encouraging my own kids to start making pension contributions from an early age.

You'd need a crystal ball to predict either of those!

LD great discussion but i know i can cross examine and deflect your posts' regarding pensions. there are for and againsts' but im totally against so for this matter im not going to bore other posters with this topic but thanks again for the discussion! :(

Fair enough. I know I could answer and disprove each and every criticism you put forward, but I guess we'd better agree to disagree before we send others to sleep. Cheers.

Hi everyone, thanks for all the replies. I've read all the posts up to date and marti not to say you are 100% correct but you do make a good point, a house may actually be a better investment than a pension, but tbh I had thought it may be a bit early to consider buying as I'm not sure where I'll be in the next ten or twenty years. I'm in a fairly secure job but there's not advancement opportunities where I am and would hate for location to be a deciding issue if I wanted to change jobs, but you have deffinately given me something to think about.

Thanks for all the replies everybody and I'll let you all know what I decide to do. Bear

Back