Starting a business grants question

Gary 23

Hi

I want to start up a business and as far as i can tell i will only need a small amount of initial capital (3000-8000). I was wondering if anybody can tell me what grants are available to people who want to start up a small business.
Also can anybody tell me if there is any good books about starting a business in Ireland.

Gary

what grants are available to people who want to start up a small business

In my experience there isn't much available, there are some for very specific types of businesses (don't know which ones off hand) and for export businesses. You can however get training and support at massively discounted rates through your local [broken link removed].

can anybody tell me if there is any good books about starting a business in Ireland.

Brian O'Kane's [broken link removed] is a good reference.

If your business manufactures or trades goods and services for export then Enterprise Ireland will fall over them-selves to give you money. Other than that there's really bugger all. Talk to an accountant that works with start up's of as DD said above, talk to your local county enterprise board.

Dont buy that book, there is plenty of information out there for free. There is a book called Doing It On Your Own, its from the department of trade and enterprise I think. Its a step by step guide to starting your own buisness. Everything from business plan to how to price your items. I'll get you the proper name of it later because its totally free.

try www.dceb.ie or www.dlrceb.ie

They have a wealth of information on their sites on what available and whats not.

Damn straight I do!! No point in spending unneccessarily!

Those Enterprise Boards are great. Even give them a call about a few things or arrange a mentoring session with them as they will point you in the right direction or what to do and where to go.

For really basic and practical infomation take a look at Toil and Trouble on www.welfare.ie.
Most of the websites on starting a business are very much a copy and paste of the same information. An excellent real life information source is to trawl through the previous posts on the askaboutmoney business section.

Thats the book. Its very ABC but at the same time has so much useful and hard to find information, especially the contacts.

Dont buy that book, there is plenty of information out there for free.

He's right, I've read that book in the bookshop and its very basic indeed. But, it has a lot of information on how to get information in a list. I got all main and crucial information on how to get business going with Enterprise Board for FREE! They gave me 4 Books with schedule on necessary courses related to How To Start Your Own Business.

Go to your local Enterprise Board, they'll help you.

Back