Sports Club discipline away from the club

taz2822

Can a sports club committee discipline as member if he has a verbal dispute with another fellow member in a private building away from the club that has no connection to the sport club. Is it purely a private civil dispute between two individuals and not a club matter if the dispute was not in the grounds of the club or on club match day or before the season has even started. Surely the club authority and jurisdiction ends in the after you leave their premises. cheers

Probably. What does it say in the Club rules for under the section for Discipline? At the end of the day it is a Club, if you are not happy you can walk away from it. Is some sort of GAA related thing with it's cult like rules on moving?

Probably. What does it say in the Club rules for under the section for Discipline? At the end of the day it is a Club, if you are not happy you can walk away from it. Is some sort of GAA related thing with it's cult like rules on moving?
Club rules only cover the clubhouse and playing area and conduct in league matches.

There was a recent case involving a Club and a person who had been a member but had not paid subscription and he successfully sued the Club for an accident at a club event that I don't think was on their premises or grounds. (The case is on here if you scroll back).

I would have thought on that basis that if they were at a club related event even if not your premises that you could have a disciplinary hearing. On the other hand if it happened that A and B who are members were in somewhere like a Pub not being a club event and had a row over club matters that might not be your business.

Your question suggests a decision has already been made without an investigation occurring. After all, there are 2 sides to every story.

Personally, my advice would be for the club to stay well out of any civil dispute involving the members where it is not related to the club and is not damaging the clubs reputation, What on earth does the club have to gain by taking disciplinary action here?

Can a sports club committee discipline as member if he has a verbal dispute with another fellow member in a private building away from the club that has no connection to the sport club.
Were they there in connection to any activity organised by the club?

There was a recent case involving a Club and a person who had been a member but had not paid subscription and he successfully sued the Club for an accident at a club event that I don't think was on their premises or grounds. (The case is on here if you scroll back).

I would have thought on that basis that if they were at a club related event even if not your premises that you could have a disciplinary hearing. On the other hand if it happened that A and B who are members were in somewhere like a Pub not being a club event and had a row over club matters that might not be your business.
it was not an official club related event it was a privately paid after hours social event in a community centre where 2 members of the club had a verbal dispute

The rules of the relevant sports governing body may permit or rule out the possibility of disciplinary action being taken on foot of such a situation.

I imagine it depends on the rules of the organisation and the exact details of the situation.

If someone in the local badminton club goes on a racist tirade on YouTube they may well have their membership withdrawn on the grounds that it brings the club into disrepute, creates a hostile environment, etc.

2 lads calling each other fuppin eejits over a private matter shouldn't really be on the club's radar though.

If someone in the local badminton club goes on a racist tirade on YouTube they may well have their membership withdrawn on the grounds that it brings the club into disrepute, creates a hostile environment, etc.
Unless the club's disciplinary process is constitutionally and procedurally watertight, including appropriate provisions for hearings, appeals and arbitration, it's highly likely that such an action would leave it highly exposed to legal challenge.

Many clubs and organisations reserve the right to sanction or expel members if their behaviour, whether at a club event or otherwise, could reflect poorly in the club's reputation. As above though, that should be laid out in the rules of membership.

Back