Split up, selling house and investment property, equity question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lisbon

I got together with my ex ten years ago. I owned my own apartment with no mortgage and a house in Portugal.

I remortgaged my apt and took another mortgage out to buy a house with my now ex. My ex had no equity.

There are now two joint mortgages one on the apt and one on the house.

I sold the house in Portugal to build a house on the land of the house above.

I am the one that has been paying the mortgages, my ex is non cooperative.

The apartment is in negative equity. We are selling the two houses, there will be a small profit from sale.

Will I be allowed any extra equity in the houses because of the extra i put in, and if so how do I ensure it?

Thanks for replying Brendan,

I remortgaged the apartment for 210k, it is a one bed and probably now worth 140k.

There is a mortgage on the house for 260k.

I sold the house in Portugal for 185k to build the second house.

The first house is now valued at 140k and the second at 290k.

This may be clear to you, but it's still very confusing to me.

There is only one property which is jointly owned. Is that correct?
I presume that she does not jointly own the apartment and that she is not named on the apartment?

1) How much did that property cost?

2) How was it funded?

You : €395k ( €210k from apartment remortgage + €185k from Portugal)
X : €0
Mortgage: €Y
Total Cost: €395k + X

3) Current Value: €290k
Current mortgage:€260k
Net equity: €30k

4) Has she ever made any payments on the mortgage at all?

Hi Brendan,

I apologise for the confusion.
The two houses are jointly owned.

She does not jointly own the apartment, my name is on the deeds. The apartment is mine and was mortgage free. I had to remortgage and offered it as security for her part of the mortgage as she had no equity.

We both share two joint mortgages. Mortgage one is the joint 210k that I remortgaged the apartment for and the other is the joint 260k on the initial house. Both our names are on both mortgages. The two houses are jointly owned. The initial house cost 470k (I.e. two joint mortgages)

Initial cost house 1; 470k: funded:

2 joint mortgages (the remortgaging of my apt 210k and 260k)
House 2; Second house on built using proceeds from sale of my house in Portugal 185k.

For the purpose of the sale of the two houses I am trying to determine my equity in them.

Only mortgage on house is 260k (the other is on the apt).
Sale of both houses should get approx 430k .... Therefore the net profit from the sale of the houses is €170. I am trying to determine what stake I should have in this lump sum.

My ex lost her job in 2009 and has not paid towards the mortgage since then. We broke up six months ago but are both still living in the house we built due to economic reasons.

There seems to be 4 properties in total? I thought that there were 3.

You bought a house together.
You built another house beside the jointly owned house?

This is extremely complicated

|House 1|House 2| Apartment
current Value |€140k|€290k |€140k
current mortgage|

Sorry, I simply cannot figure it out. I suggest, that you start a fresh thread and set out the details, property by property.

Brendan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back