Soon to be unemployed, advice needed

theoneill

Hi Guys

My protective notice is to expire soon and I face unemployment for the first time ever.
This is quite daunting as I have no idea what I’m entitled to or what to expect.

The company I’m with is of little help as the HR manager was let go a while back
So I really need some questions answered.

Redundancy
I think I’m OK on this one. I’m pretty sure I’ll nothing more than statuary and I’m basing my household budget on that.

Social Welfare
This is where I’m ignorant.
1. I know where my local office is but when should I register and can I expect the place to be swamped?

2. I have a partner (not married) and a young son, do I get anything extra for them?

3. Is jobseekers benefit means tested?
I earned 50K pa and have some savings will this stand against me?

4. How long should I expect to wait for my benefit?

Miscellaneous bills
I’m suspending my pension as I will no longer be able to claim tax relief, however I do have some more questions.

1. Mortgage TRS – Can I assume that I’m no longer entitled to TRS at source?
I’m worried about this as it will hurt.

2. VHI – Will our annual VHI bills increase boy 41% when I’m unemployed?

I think I’ve covered everything. If there is anyone her that has experience in these matters and can offer advice in layman’s terms I would really appreciate it.

Social Welfare
This is where I’m ignorant.
1. I know where my local office is but when should I register and can I expect the place to be swamped?You should go down the first day you are unemployed. It probably will be pretty swamped.

2. I have a partner (not married) and a young son, do I get anything extra for them? Yes, you can claim them as dependants

3. Is jobseekers benefit means tested? No, it is based off the stamps you have been paying.
I earned 50K pa and have some savings will this stand against me?

4. How long should I expect to wait for my benefit?

Miscellaneous bills
I’m suspending my pension as I will no longer be able to claim tax relief, however I do have some more questions.

1. Mortgage TRS – Can I assume that I’m no longer entitled to TRS at source?
I’m worried about this as it will hurt. I believe you will still get the TRS

2. VHI – Will our annual VHI bills increase boy 41% when I’m unemployed? The tax relief was 20%, and I believe that you still get that too.

I think I’ve covered everything. If there is anyone her that has experience in these matters and can offer advice in layman’s terms I would really appreciate it.

I would advise you to post in the Social Welfare forum where you may get more answers. Berni has given you good answers but be aware that whethger you get paid for your partner and kids is dependant on the income your partner has. See www.welfare.ie for more info. on SW.

There are long delays in payments depending on level of backlogs in the particular office you are in. Up to three months in some cases. All offices, unless they are very small, have backlogs.

If you have no other income (i.e. partner working) you can attend your local Health Centre to see the Community Welfare Officer and apply for Supplementary Welfare Allowance, an interim payment while you wait for your claim to come through. The CWO will also be able to tell you about Mortgage Interest Supplement and whether you qualify for this.

Back