Something I can't get my head around about the stock market

Status
Not open for further replies.
therave said:
on the Aer Lingus shares,i read recently that the minmum needed to invest will be 10k.. that put's a lot of small timers out straight away.

Discussed here on AAM already. The €10000 limit is applicable to those retail investors who wish to purchase shares in the IPO.

Once the shares are traded on the secondary market, anyone will be able to buy any amount of shares, with no lower limit on value of holdings purchased.

ronan_d_john said:
Many of the better known stock market investing "gurus" have always had the proposition when it came to buying shares. Basically, if you know the company, or the product, or the managers and you like, then it's a good idea to buy the stock. Examples of these are below, as to whether to buy or not buy.

Take Telecom Eireann/Eircom for example. Go back 5 or 10 years and remember what the company was like. People would have had certain negative perceptions of the organisation, it's staff and how it was run. People should have based their investment decisions on this, rather than the blurb that was put out by the government.

Take Aer Lingus now. Do people like the company, the service/product it provides, and the manner in which it goes about its business and manages it's staff? Answers to those will dictate how people might treat that flotation.

Or finally, take Willie Walsh. He was hailed for his work at Aer Lingus, and was head hunted to join BA. Buying shares in BA on the day he joined would see a 50% increase in the value of your holding today.

Yes but assuming BA has 1million shares, wouldn't these be all snapped up by regular investors who get an allocation through the broker.

And also, what would have happened if all 1million shares had been already owned before willie walsh was announced.

junii said:
Yes but assuming BA has 1million shares, wouldn't these be all snapped up by regular investors who get an allocation through the broker.

And also, what would have happened if all 1million shares had been already owned before willie walsh was announced.

You're getting confused now (or are you just having a laugh? I'm not sure). BA would have gone public (shares sold to the public) years ago, so there's no allocations, just buying and selling BA shares on the stock market.

So, when Willie Walsh joined, all the shares were in the hands of shareholders already - either large institutions or individual investors, or whatever.

On that day, some people might have taken the view that with a "mick" taking over the company, that the company wasn't worth owning any more, and sold. Or others might have seen what he did with Aer Lingus and decided to buy.

You now have people buying and selling in the market, their requirements match off, or almost match off or whatever, and those that want to sell sell, and their shares are bought by those that want to buy.

ronan d john

apologies for the confusion what u have said is what i had intended to say

ronan_d_john said:
You're getting confused now (or are you just having a laugh? I'm not sure). BA would have gone public (shares sold to the public) years ago, so there's no allocations, just buying and selling BA shares on the stock market.

So, when Willie Walsh joined, all the shares were in the hands of shareholders already - either large institutions or individual investors, or whatever.

On that day, some people might have taken the view that with a "mick" taking over the company, that the company wasn't worth owning any more, and sold. Or others might have seen what he did with Aer Lingus and decided to buy.

You now have people buying and selling in the market, their requirements match off, or almost match off or whatever, and those that want to sell sell, and their shares are bought by those that want to buy.

Tbh honest im not having a laugh, I was just finding it difficult to think about this straight because of the many terms et cetera but its becoming more clear now.

junii said:
Tbh honest im not having a laugh, I was just finding it difficult to think about this straight because of the many terms et cetera but its becoming more clear now.

Then you really need to steer clear until you know more about it. Check out one of the books recommended on learning about the stock market. And then you're probably better going with professional advice rather than doing anything on your own.

Yes, I will be steering clear until I understand it completely. I am technicially minded so I should have no problem understanding it. Its just there is a steep learning curve at the beginning. Like with computers theres so many Acronyms and terms the same can be said of financial services and the stock market.

ronan_d_john said:
Then you really need to steer clear until you know more about it.
I'm guessing you J, like many of us, are interested in these issues for future potential investment rather than immediate investment (similiar to RDJs suggestion of doing further investigations before jumping in). Just incase I will point out that given another thread relating to getting a loan (http://www.askaboutmoney.com/showthread.php?t=33073) was made, you should (probably*) try and clear debt(s) before investing in (potential long term) stocks.

*You WILL be paying high interest rates on the loan. You MAY make more in the investment but it is a (fairly large) risk (paying the loan is a guaranteed "return", investing is not), if you can be confident of a return meeting loan APR amounts then fair play. Your in the wrong job!

It's down to your own attitude/opinion/view, but thought it worth mentioning just incase anyone reading hadn't come across/considered this before. Look around AAM, or anywhere else which gives good financial advice, and they will in the majority of instances suggest clearing debt before contemplating investments.

ronan_d_john said:
Many of the better known stock market investing "gurus" have always had the proposition when it came to buying shares. Basically, if you know the company, or the product, or the managers and you like, then it's a good idea to buy the stock. Examples of these are below, as to whether to buy or not buy.

Take Telecom Eireann/Eircom for example. Go back 5 or 10 years and remember what the company was like. People would have had certain negative perceptions of the organisation, it's staff and how it was run. People should have based their investment decisions on this, rather than the blurb that was put out by the government.

Take Aer Lingus now. Do people like the company, the service/product it provides, and the manner in which it goes about its business and manages it's staff? Answers to those will dictate how people might treat that flotation.

Or finally, take Willie Walsh. He was hailed for his work at Aer Lingus, and was head hunted to join BA. Buying shares in BA on the day he joined would see a 50% increase in the value of your holding today.

I think this is a good point, well made. We had a debate on here about identifying growth prospects and selecting managers and this was one area that I reckon active management can make a difference in. Sounds a bit like 'cult of personality' but think it does give an edge in picking investments

Squonk said:
That might work in the examples you quoted but what about companies like Enron, Worldcom etc whose shares went down and never got back up. Your strategy is based on the premise that the companies are sound and that they are just going through a 'bad phase'. That is not always the case.

it has worked all the time for me! i thoroughly research the company and stock price before i invest, and keep my portfolio under 5 stocks at all times......more than that is too difficult to manage in my opinion........

i failed to see how ryanair were high risk when i bought them after the profit warning - they were, and still are, the most profitable airline in europe........a companies share price is largely based on profitability.......

i also failed to see how elan was not an absolute bargain when it crashed to circa e4 - in my opinion tysabri was always going to be relaunched as the cases of PML only occured in 0.1% of patients when taking it in combination with avonex (another MS drug produced by Biogen) - taken as a monotherapy, the drug produced NO cases of PML - and u had to bear in mind that this drug has the potential to reep >$2 billion in revenue if it returned to the market........which it recently has........a companies shareprice is largely based on profitability.......

im not suggesting everyone go out and buy elan or ryanair -im just letting u know the methods i used myself before buying - they were extremely researched and educated bets..........

people keep telling me - "ah, sure buyin shares is the same as bettin on a horse".....NONSCENCE!!....if a horse falls at a fence or comes in 2nd and u have backed it to win u do not get any money - u lose, u get zero...........if a company misses a projected Q2 revenue or gets a profit warning or whatever - u have the OPTION to lose by selling, or the option to hang on and ride the wave.......this option does not exist is horse betting..........

tyler_durden said:
it has worked all the time for me! i thoroughly research the company and stock price before i invest

This was not the impression that you gave in your original postings. If I remember, you gave the impression that you bought in the opposite way of other investors, purely because of their actions, rather than because of the principles behind the company you were investing in.

So basically you are taking advantage of a price opportunity in companies that you like, rather than just buying when most people sell. You should have been clearer on that. There is a serious difference in the investing policy you're engaging in compared to what you led us to believe originally.

tyler_durden said:
i failed to see how ryanair were high risk when i bought them after the profit warning - they were, and still are, the most profitable airline in europe........a companies share price is largely based on profitability.......

Yes, a profitable airline that has shown a growth of only about 10% in about 3 years since I invested. And a profitable airline that has never paid out any dividends. Despite being profitable, both these aspects in my mind would not indicate that Ryanair is a buy, or a sell.

"So basically you are taking advantage of a price opportunity in companies that you like, rather than just buying when most people sell"....ronan d john

Let me clarify, its simple really.............I am taking advantage of a price opportunity in companies that i like, WHEN most are selling, based on the reason they are selling..........

tyler_durden said:
i also failed to see how elan was not an absolute bargain when it crashed to circa e4 - in my opinion tysabri was always going to be relaunched as the cases of PML only occured in 0.1% of patients when taking it in combination with avonex (another MS drug produced by Biogen) - taken as a monotherapy, the drug produced NO cases of PML - and u had to bear in mind that this drug has the potential to reep >$2 billion in revenue if it returned to the market........which it recently has........a companies shareprice is largely based on profitability.......

I actually bought elan at 2.80 and sold at 14.80...
I thought along the same lines as you...However....
Do you know out of the thousands of drugs taken off the market how many were actually relaunched?
2...and that includes tysabri. It was a huge risk to take to buy into it and don't pretend it wasn't/isn't if you still hold them.

BTW Is this not discussing individual shares?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back