Some social welfare payment for mortgage arrears?

Brendan Burgess

Founder
From Donohoe

Social protection​

While providing supports we also need to ensure our welfare system improves living standards and helps all people to fulfil their potential.
I am announcing a Social Protection package for 2024 worth almost €1.1 billion targeted to those with the greatest need, in particular our children. This includes:
  • for an individual in receipt of a weekly Social Protection payment, I am providing for an increase of €12 per week
To further support those with a disability and carers, I am:
  • increasing the Carer's Allowance Means Test disregard to €450 for a single person and €900 for a couple
  • allocating additional funds to provide free travel for people medically certified unfit to drive
  • reducing the minimum weekly hours threshold for eligibility for the Wage Subsidy Scheme from 21 hours to 15
My colleague the Minister for Finance has announced a one-off tax scheme to offset increased mortgage costs for eligible claimants in early 2024.
Further to this, my colleague, the Minister for Social Protection, will work with the Minister for Finance to provide a payment, where necessary, through the Department of Social Protection. The details will be worked out following the Budget.

Last edited:
It doesn't sound like a Social Welfare scheme, it sounds as if DSP will just issue payments (as they have the technology to do this). A few years ago, Water grants were administered by Dept of Environment but DSP issued the physical payments.

I heard Paschal being interviewed and I wonder are they just going to pay those who don't have a taxable income but do have a mortgage, this payment via the DSP?

Hi Brendan,
I didn't hear the announcement about mortgage relief, I'm basing my guess on your bolded text in the first post

As ever, the devil will be in the detail!

I heard Paschal being interviewed and I wonder are they just going to pay those who don't have a taxable income but do have a mortgage, this payment via the DSP?
Given the word payment is used it sounds to me that it is something along the lines of an exceptional needs payment or maybe the previous mortgage interest supplement scheme. A lot to be clarified over the next few days around this and other measures announced today.

I clarified it with Michael McGrath in the make up department of RTE tonight.

There is no help for those in arrears.

It is the Mortgage Interest Supplement which they announced for taxpayers. Social Welfare recipients with a mortgage wouldn't benefit from it as they don't pay tax.

So the Dept will pay it to them instead.

Brendan

Back