Solid Fuel Stove.

mildew

Hi,

I am considering replacing my existing open fire (No Gas or oil) with a Stanley solid fuel stove (or similar).
Would it be a simple job for the " Not so bad" D.I.Y.er or would you suggest getting someone in to do the work?

Am I correct in assuming that its just a matter of removing the fire surround and insert, A touch of re-plastering and putting the flue up the existing chimney? Or am I just being a bit too optomistic?

Any help greatly appreciated,
Thank you.

Hi there

We have recently had a solid fuel Stanley Stove fitted into a newly built extension. The chimney was built with the stove measurements in mind at the time. I think your best bet would be to talk to one of the Waterford Stanley suppliers - you can get a list of these in your area when you ring Waterford Stanley. They supply the stove, and then have their fitters come out to install, so preferably ask can you speak to one of the fitters if they're around. Bear in mind that there is a) the cost of the stove and b)the cost for the flue and fitting (this alone was around e650 mark plus vat! Have yet to see how well the stove works as we're moving in soon - fingers crossed!

We replaced our open fire with Stanley Oisin solid fuel heater a last year. While hubby is a DIYer we got the heating contractors where we purchased it to install it for us. We were concerned about all that mystique about chimneys etc.
The results are brilliant. It burns anything and gives out fantastic heat in a room 24ft.x12ft.
They do an enamelled version which in my opinion is worth the extra cost - looks good and easy to clean

I bought a Oisin stove too just last week, I hope to connect it to an existing fireplace. I'm not much good at DIY so I called a few professionals. The stove cost 399 in MD O Sheas in Ballincollig looks like it might cost the same again to get the thing installed. or even more.... I've no clue I'll post my findings here afterwards,

Checked out MD O' Sheas - sales staff very helpful, called the man they recommend for installing and received a quote of 800 Euro,this included the flue and fitting, this seems very expensive, anyone had any quotes for the same.

hi blacksheep, was thinking of going for the enamel version as well but i heard it can chip easy, anyone else experience this?

Currently looking into getting a solid fuel stove. The models I have been considering so far are the [broken link removed] (71% efficiency/6kW output) at €822 or [broken link removed] (72% efficency/7kW output) @ €885. These are supply only prices. Still have to cover cost of new insert and installation.

The Stanley seems very cheap by comparison. Does anyone have an efficiency rating for it (can't seem to find it on their website)?
Does the glass stay clean?
Have you all been advised to swap out insert? Also, what other stoves did you consider and why did you end up going with the Stanley?

EDIT - Stanley confirmed efficiency ratings for Oisin as follows;
Burning smokless fuel 77%​
Burning Wood 73.9 %​

I have the Oisin. and the glass will blacken to the sides. It gives out loads of heat. We do reduce the air when the room gets warm which I believe will cause the glass to stain as you have lower burn temperatures at the slow burn. The glass is easy to clean with a baby wipe and we clean it every 4 or 5 fires just for effect. A good fire in the stove will also clean the glass as it will burn off the soot on the glass too. (not spotless though)

Bought the same oisin stanley in MD o'shea's this time last year. Also bought the flue as part of a package with all the connecting bits which cost over E1000! My builder buddy gave me a dose of abuse and I brought everything back bar the stove! Turns out you can buy all the flues/connectors for a fraction of the price at a good plumbers merchants e.g. Heiton Buckley (no affiliation). I saved a couple of hundred euros so it's worth shopping around. Also I fitted it myself, with a hangover, so might be worth considering if you feel DIY confident.

..bought the flue as part of a package with all the connecting bits which cost over E1000! .
A €1000! I'm assuming you have an older fireplace/chimney - and had to run flue all the way up right?

The Oisin is far and away cheaper than any of the others and I can't see the down side. Little or no difference in energy efficiency % and no major issue with glass as confirmed by phester above. Can anyone else see a reason for the price difference?

Anyone any idea of the approximate cost of the short length of flue that would be needed to reach existing lined chimney flue (just a couple of feet long)??

We had an 'Erin' Stanley, enamel, fitted years ago. Fantastic heat, hot water and 6 rads... We had it fitted into an existing fireplace. All went well until it had to be cleaned... Could not get anyone to clean it as you need to have a soot box installed, either inside or on your outside wall. An extra expense but look into it.

While you're on the subject I really want to get a small solid fuel stove for my new extension but want to know if I really need a chimney or can I just use the narrow pipe(is it the flue?). Just not sure if its possible to use with solid fuel.

As far as I can remember the flue cost in the region of E40 per metre. I decided to go all the way to the top through paranoia as much as anything else. However in theory it should be easier to clean as a result. With regard to putting a stove in without a chimney there is no problem with running the flue through a wall or ceiling/roof but I don't know the regs re: outside height clearance, insulation passing through the wall/ceiling/roof etc.

I have been quoted 499 for the stanley oisin and 1200 for installation from lamartine fireplaces!!!? Seems pretty steep for installation into an existing fireplace. Has anyone got an average installation price to use as a reference? Also, does anyone have contact details for an stove installer based in dublin?

Hi, we are at the same thing here. Want to install some sort of heat in the kitchen which only has a radiator. We feel that we may as well install something that will do more than one job such as heat the radiators, water, or maybe even cook on. We have no chimney but local plumbers can supply factory flue. We dont want to spend an arm and a leg ( unless we decide to buy a range ) and have limited space in the kitchen. The stoves are in the region of €1,000. The range would no doubt cost €3000. upwards. Are we on the right track here because we dont know much about the subject and know even less about installation costs but would like to get it done before the winter. Is there anyone out there who does this work and can advise on this forum how to go about it. Thanks.

Any idea of the current price of the Stanley Oisin enamel finish?

Hi all we are looking to put in a stove in an existing fireplace too but toying with the idea of putting in a back boiler to heat water and rads downstairs or just have it as a space heater - at the moment we have an oil central heating system and the rads can be turned off upstairs with a separate switch. I've heard of conflicting reports.

How big a job is it to put in the back boiler?

Also from an asthetic point of view we don't have a chimney breast in the room as it's on the outside of the house anyone any ideas for a finish for the stove.

Currently looking into getting a solid fuel stove. The models I have been considering so far are the [broken link removed] (71% efficiency/6kW output) at €822 or [broken link removed] (72% efficency/7kW output) @ €885. These are supply only prices. Still have to cover cost of new insert and installation.

Where are you getting the prices from. I am interested in Fitting the Esse 350

Forget the back boiler unless you own a coal yard and enjoy cleaning out ashes and dust all over the place. As per my previous post we had back boilers in our current house and the previous one. Both were useless, we had lukewarm radiators and very poor heat from fire

The enamel version of the Stanley Oisin was about €150 extra but was well worth it. Looks good and is easy to clean

The enamel version of the Stanley Oisin was about €150 extra but was well worth it. Looks good and is easy to clean

My mother has a small Stanley stove - think it's the Foinn. It's about 8years old. The enamel has started to chip - Stanley weren't interested and say they advise that it will happen over time. Also it is not a cost effective job to get it repaired. So check before you purchase

Back