Solid Apartments Dublin

Caroline_T

OK this might seem like a weird request :confused: but I am currently renting an apartment where I can hear my neighbours talk. it's like they are in the apartment with me and I can hear them snore even o_O

I can't afford to buy a house (doing it on my own) so in the new year I am going to view apartments. I am single and living on my own so I thought to myself I would be better off living in the city centre or even along the DART line somewhere, so I have easy access to get to work or to go into town for a few drinks to meet up with friends without having the hassle of worrying about getting home.

Anyways what I want to know is :rolleyes: if anyone is presently or even if anyone use to live in an apartment block where they thought it was fairly solid, where they couldn't hear their neighbours much, now i KNOW there will be a certain degree of noise in the city and with neighbours but I have 2 friends living in apartments and they can't hear much from their neighbours, so them apartments are out there ;) but where? Please don't slate any apartment block I just want the ones that you experienced to be good to live in :p any links would be great so i know where they are :oops:

As a generalisation, I would avoid any apartments built this century. These were built as a get-rich-quick scheme by dodgy developers who had no interest in their ultimate customers. Look for older apartments which I think would likely have been built more robustly.

Thanks TallPaul, thats exactly what I am thinking. I am watching them build new houses up beside me and there's not really much between the 2 houses. I need a good solid build as I don't want the stress of noise, like i am sneaking around my apartment in the mornings so I don't wake neighbours up, that's the last thing I want to do if i purchase an apartment :(. Can't even wear heels. They were built just as the Celtic tiger was finishing. So it would be great if people could tell me the good experiences in apartments in town or surrounding areas :cool:

You need to look at who the developer is/ was and do research about them. I'm sure there'll be plenty online giving out about certain developers so you know to avoid them.

Steven
www.bluewaterfp.ie

Well on viewing the first thing to do is to check the outer four walls of the apartment. The inner walls are usually studded. If they are hollow or timber sounding then they aint soundproof at all. Do the same with the floor if you can. If there's a hollow sound when you stamp then the same as walls.

Thanks everyone. Think I'll Defo be going around banging at walls and floors that's for sure. I've been watching out online and I'm not actually seeing much complaints o_O
Hence why I'd like to hear about the good ones built as its not really fair on the ppl who paid fortune & then for ppl to slate them.

Where are these apartments :p

There's a lot of very good apartments in Cork St, and most of them were built during the Celtic tiger period. If you're buying, buy the 2 bed and you'll have no problem letting a room to professionals. Not dear to buy and great value with decent management companies.

I disagree re newer builds being less well built - it really depends on the development, and a lot of the newer builds have much better BERs and even gas central heating which I would take over a poorly insulated, older block any day.

OP a lot of the newer blocks along the N11 seem very well built: Thornwood, Booterstown Wood, The Grange, Beechwood Court, Merrion Hall etc. I have known several people who have lived in them and there was never an issue with ordinary/everyday noise (can't speak for renovation work etc. but that kind of noise is not just an issue in apartments but houses too). Not sure if it is outside your area but might be a reasonable price point and the QBC bus corridor is handy for the nitelink and commute into town.

I live in Waterville Blanchardstown (or apparently Castle knock now) and can't hear a thing. Separately just got my gas bill and have only used standing charge...apart from 2 days...in last 2 years so v well insulated

Back