solicitors search ?( what is it ?)

S

sinderella

just wondering... we signed off with our solicitor last week on a affordable house , our solicitor has told us that prior to getting the keys he must conduct a search ???
does anyone know exactly what this means ? is it in relation to previous bad debts and who do they search with ?

any help on this appreciated ...

It's a search on the property as opposed to a search on you as far as I know. To ensure that there are no liens/encumbrances etc (I'm not sure of the exact legal terms) against the property you are buying, i.e. the seller has the right to sell it to you and you will have the right to 'full enjoyment' of the property.

It is the bank/lender that will look at your credit history-this is where 'bad debts' would show up. If your mortgage has already been approved, then you shouldn't have anything to worry about.

Unless there is a different process for Affordable Housing, I'm pretty sure this is how it works. I should also add that this is very simple explanation of the process-your solicitor should take you through the process if you ask them.

Back