Solicitors fees

PTSBCase

I have a question re. solicitor fees please. I contacted my solicitors office recently regarding obtaining copies of documents they had on my file re. my mortgage. The solicitor actually answered my phone call & asked me to submit my request via email. I did this & today received a response from my solicitor stating they had the documents & a very convoluted letter which was difficult to understand. Overall it stated the fees which I found to be high. Note they have not sent the docs. to me. But it does appear they have reviewed my file to ensure they had these docs. I emailed back stating as the fees were high that I did not want to go through with my request. I just want to confirm that the solicitor cannot insist on receiving part of these fees. Just to state at no time did the solicitor outline the fees upfront, I.e. On the phone or prior to sending out the fees email. I also did not request this but had assumed they would send a quotation to me.
Can someone please confirm that a solicitor has an obligation to explain to me their charges before I engage them to act on my behalf, i.e. Go through with my request for documents? Thanks

Just to clarify on above. I did get a s68 letter. Can someone please let me know if this is a bill that I have to pay? Or is it a quotation only, i.e. I can decide against the services of the solicitor based on the fees outlined on the s68 letter?

Back