Solicitor's Bill of cost for mortgage

P

Petoors40

Hi Everyone

We are F.T.B and have a few questions please:

1. Is it the norm to pay the Bill of cost before or after close of sale?

2. What can we do if we have a problem with our solicitor?
He refused a few instructions that was reasonable for i.e we asked him to courier the cheque from the mortgage centre and he refused as he wanted to receive it over the DX-system..
He doesn't return phone calls. I phoned him on a Tuesday and he never got back to me? I had to phone him again and again.
I mean we pay him for this... Is it worth while to hand him over to Law Society after we signed for our keys?

we kindly appreciate feedback

Costs are usually paid before the sale closes. Part of the undertaking which the solicitor gives to the mortgage lender states that the solicitor must be in possession of all outlay necessary to stamp and register both mortgage and property before negotiating the loan cheque.

It would not be normal practice to courier loan cheques unless there was some extreme urgency in closing the sale. Depending on the bank a letter of authorisation may be necessary, so the courier needs to do 2 pick-ups, to solicitor for letter, to bank for cheque, back to solictor with cheque. In City traffic DX can be more reliable and safer. (also cheaper)

I wouldn't defend anyone for not returning phone calls, thats just a matter of good manners but if the solicitor is busy and has nothing to tell you then a call to you may not be a priority. I would still get another member of staff to return the call as a matter of courtesy but not everyone thinks this way

I understand, thanks. I wonder- how long does it usually take after paying the bill of cost to sign and receive keys?

Back