Sole trader: chasing debt with UK company...?

Dinarius

I am a commercial photographer.

In July of this year, I was contacted directly by a large UK company (I am happy to name them if this is permissible) to do a small (1/4 day) job. I sent them the files and the invoice and awaited payment.

Meanwhile, on the 8th of this month, they commissioned another 1/4 day shoot. The person I was dealing with promised me payment for the first job before the day of the shoot for the second one. Payment didn't arrive.

So, based on my experience with payment for the first job, I said that I would only deliver the files for the second job when I received payment for BOTH jobs. (In fact, I sent them one file - of 6 - from the second job along with the invoice. Probably a mistake)

I am still awaiting payment.

The woman I have been dealing with is fairly far down the food-chain, I suspect.

Should I start emailing some of the names on their website?

The money involved isn't huge - less than €1000 - it's just the principle of the thing and the fact that they are a large company.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

D.

Large companies are often poor payers due to the amount of bureaucracy involved at their end, it's quite possible for example that their accounts payable are on the other side of the world. I suggest you start with the person you've been dealing with and if you don't get an adequate response within 24/48 hrs, ask for it to be escalated and for the name of the person it is being escalated to. Again, give it another 24/48 hrs and go on from there. Threaten legal action as well, large companies hate the threat of that due to reputational damage

Would I be right in thinking that you are not accustomed to dealing with customers of this type.

They have their processes and there is no point in raging against that.

You sent them an invoice, but was it done their way, did you quote their purchase order, their job number etc.

You need to learn how they work and conform to that way of working, they are not going to do things your way after all.

Get on to their accounts payable and ask what you need to do to get paid, it may be quite a complicated process especially if you are a new supplier. Jump through all the hoops.

The idea of holding back on job 2 until you get paid for job one, or as another poster says escalating things in 24/48 hours, is just the wrong mindset for working with a large bureaucratic company.

They have come to you twice in 3 months, they must like your work, this could be an opportunity, don't blow it just because they are highhanded in their financial dealings.

Next time the come calling you can pour all your frustration into charging them at a much higher rate than your usual, that is also part of the mindset required dealing with big companies.

You said, "its not the money, its the principal of the thing". I suggest that there is no principal involved just a different way of operating and if you can get your head around it perhaps a very profitable one.

Back