So many charities but which one to contribute to?

I was looking around for a charity to donate to in respect of the Ukrainian appeals. I saw a charity with an address local enough to me here in Blackrock. They have a "donate now" button on their website. However I wanted to send them a cheque (use up the last of my Ulster Bank cheques). I contacted them through their Facebook page to see if they would take a cheque. No response. to my message.
I waited a few days and then I decided to contact them through their online form on their web page. No response to this either. I then sent them an email. No response.

I appreciate that charities may be run by voluntary staff but surely they must have someone to monitor their online prescence and contact us details?

I'm a long-standing Trocaire supporter who is seriously considering stopping my standing order over its recent political antics (as reported in The Times on Monday).

The charities regulator has written to Trócaire, the overseas development agency of the Catholic Church in Ireland, to “remind” it that any future political activity must “directly advance and support [its] stated charitable purposes”.
The letter was prompted by two formal complaints to the regulator about recent campaigns by Trócaire — which was set up to combat poverty and injustice in the developing world — relating to the treatment of Palestinians in Gaza.
In one complaint, a man said he had received an unsolicited mailshot from the charity featuring a Palestinian flag on a postcard with a request to “display the flag overleaf inside your home to show solidarity with the children, women and men of Gaza and Palestine”.

I'm a long-standing Trocaire supporter who is seriously considering stopping my standing order over its recent political antics (as reported in The Times on Monday).

Trócaire have been overtly political since the 1970s, e.g. involvement in El Salvador.

Many churches and charities are political in some shape or form.

I was looking around for a charity to donate to in respect of the Ukrainian appeals. I saw a charity with an address local enough to me here in Blackrock. They have a "donate now" button on their website. However I wanted to send them a cheque (use up the last of my Ulster Bank cheques). I contacted them through their Facebook page to see if they would take a cheque. No response. to my message.
I waited a few days and then I decided to contact them through their online form on their web page. No response to this either. I then sent them an email. No response.

I appreciate that charities may be run by voluntary staff but surely they must have someone to monitor their online prescence and contact us details?

Probably someone trying to figure out how to answer when they don't know what a 'cheque' is lol

Back