Sinister-looking cameras on Chapelizod By-Pass

hansov

On the way out of the city (Dublin) last night and on the way in this morning I noticed two sets of cameras. One is located on the outbound dual carriage-way just after the Maxol garage near Palmerstown and the other inbound just after the Shell garage at Palmerstown. These cameras are mounted on what can be described at gantries that overhang one or two lanes of traffic and have three cameras each pointing at a traffic lane. Little aerials protrude. Given my inquisitive nature :eek: I had to know more and so an early morning call to Dublin traffic centre was hastily passed to South Dublin CoCo Traffic control. It seems that these are traffic flow counter cameras (aerials used for data transmission) and nothing more than that. I was told that the cameras measure real time traffic flow between points. I have found point a inbound and point A outbound. Wonder where the point B's are. And could the use of these be expanded and used as speed cameras???

At least 4 temporary cameras have been set up in Parnell St too since yesterday morning at various points between Jervis St and O'Connell St.

They've started a pilot project on the N7 [broken link removed] to track travel times between various points leading up to the Red Cow junction.

I think they also have these at the gantry over the Malahide Road at Clare Hall SC.

I don't know that you could use these as speed cameras. Better off to watch the road markings for evidence of speed cameras in operation.

They are average speed cameras.

They time you between points so you cant speed up between speed checks.
Only being tested as far as i know so you're ok

Would it be a problem if they were used as speed cameras?
Isn't it the case that the more cameras there are, both speed and traffic control, the better it is for everyone?

Isn't it the case that the more cameras there are, both speed and traffic control, the better it is for everyone?

Depends on whether or not you value your civil liberties.

{;) I have no problem with speed cameras as I try to keep within the speed limits as much as possible. If I'm over its because I am still using a MPH speedometer and am marginal (1 or 2 kmph over the limit)}. No, I suppose I threw out speed cameras as a possibilty! Has anybody thought at how quickly, or secretly, "congestion tax cameras" could be installed if we ever go down that road. And this is just another suggestion......:(

umop3p!sdn said:
Depends on whether or not you value your civil liberties.

Being checked to see if you're adhering to the law is an infringement of your civil liberties???

Please explain further.... I'm intrigued!!!

(And if you're going to tell me that it's big brother knowing where you are all the time by taking your picture, can you tell me if you use bank cards and credit cards???)

Please explain further.... I'm intrigued
Interesting use of the word 'intrigued' - is it a clever pun?

Bank cards etc can also be used to erode civil liberties. I suppose you would have no problems with identity card schemes either?

Some people don't mind such invasions, others do. There are probably no right or wrong answers.

Being checked to see if you're adhering to the law is an infringement of your civil liberties???
In answer to this - yes of course it is! - absolutely. Innocent until proven guilty.

logically they are better than fixed point speed cameras which only track a car for a few hundred metres ( at most). stands to reason if you measure between two points in a set speed limit area and a vehicle exits the area before an 'allowed' period of time, then that vehicle was speeding. would also stand to reason to have a notices posted to that effect and also have a tolerance built in. take some manpower to check out each vehicle though unless there was a digital signal built into each vehicle.

stands to reason if you measure between two points in a set speed limit area and a vehicle exits the area before an 'allowed' period of time, then that vehicle was speeding.

OMG, that is so Newtonian!

Checked it out.

From a 'Source' :

They are only being tested. The ones at clearwater are being tested for about 2 or 3 years now.
They have software that reads your car reg through both cameras and automatically matches them. Hence the drive to get rid of non standard regs now. They calculate your average speed and your caught speeding.

The software is good and works but needs to be tested completely as court cases will depend on their accuracy.

They intend to put them where ever you have speed limit signs. They are also thinking about adapting the technology for tolls.

It looks like these have also been installed further up the N4 near the Spa Hotel a few yards from where there is already a speed camera at the side of the road.

Back