Single Parent Working

Mark100

My daughter who is 22 is living with me at my home with her 2 kids. She is not able to pay me anything because she don't get much. She does get 270 per month maintenance from the farther of the 2 kids.

She was thinking of going back to work to do a few shifts a week.
The wife said she will mind the kids if she did this.

Does anyone know the limitations on earnings before this would effect her social welfare payments, im not clued up on this at all because myself never needed to go to the social welfare.

How much could she earn per week with out this effecting her socail welfare single parent payments?

You can work and get One-Parent Family Payment. The amount of payment you get depends on your weekly means.

Income disregards
  • The first €90 of your gross weekly earnings is not taken into account (or disregarded). This means that you can earn up to €90 per week and qualify for the full One-Parent Family Payment.
  • Half the remainder of your gross earnings up to €425 per week is assessed as means. If you earn between €90 and €425 per week you may qualify for a reduced payment.SW 19 Social Welfare Rates of Payment booklet shows the amount of OPF payable with your means.
Social insurance contributions, superannuation/PRSA contributions and trade union subscriptions are not taken into account in the assessment of earnings. However, your gross earnings must be below €425 before any deductions are allowed.

Additional supports
You may qualify for Family Income Supplement (FIS), if you are working for at least 19 hours a week (38 hours a fortnight). You can continue to claim One-Parent Family Payment and your FIS payment is not counted as means. Find out more about Family Income Supplement.

If you want to become self-employed, you may qualify for the Back to Work Enterprise Allowance. People on One-Parent Family Payment are also eligible for JobBridge - the National Internship Scheme.

From 16 January 2012 new participants on CE schemes cannot get OFP at the same time. However if you take part in a CE scheme and return immediately to OFP from the CE scheme your entitlement is based on your original start date.

If your pay from work is reduced
You may be entitled to an increase in your One-Parent Family Payment if your pay is reduced. To get an increase in your One-Parent Family Payment send a current payslip (showing your reduced pay) with a letter from your employer, confirming your new work situation, to the Intreo centre or social welfare local office dealing with your claim.

If your pay is reduced and you are getting Family Income Supplement (FIS), your FIS payment will stay the same. If the number of hours you work each week is reduced to below 19 hours (38 hours per fortnight) you are no longer entitled to FIS. You should notify the FIS section if the hours you work fall below the minimum requirement.

You may be entitled to an increase in your Rent Supplement. If you rent from a local authority or housing association you should contact them to find out if you are entitled to a reduction in your rent. If you are not getting a medical card or GP visit card you should find out if you now qualify.

Credited contributions
If you were receiving Maternity Benefit immediately before getting OFP you will get credited contributions. You can read more about credited contributions in the Operational Guidelines for OFP.

Back