Signing for Credits

mtk

Have my first annual ( I believe)signing on (only get credits - no entitlement to any unemployment assistance payments due to savings ) meeting coming up . Any idea what is involved ? I don't fancy a grilling but should I be prepared for one?
Thanks

Depending on your age (if under age 62), they may enquire as to what efforts you are making to get employment or they may offer you a "course".

Reactions: mtk
Are you sure it's a meeting you are having? Are you not simply attending your local office to sign on?

Are you sure it's a meeting you are having? Are you not simply attending your local office to sign on?
Yes it's simply signing on. Perhaps I used the word meeting loosely but as I never had one before no idea what happens .
Depending on your age (if under age 62), they may enquire as to what efforts you are making to get employment or they may offer you a "course".

No issue there I can show have applied for jobs

Time may correct me - but I suspect you'll just sign on and be in and out in a few mins. As I understand it Local Offices have a designated day each year for signing on for credits. On the day a separate area may be used just for the people signing for credits so it should be a fairly slick process. Most likely u'll just sign a piece of paper and that's it. Cheers

Reactions: mtk
When I used to sign on monthly it was a quick in and out in a few minutes process. I have signed on for credits annually and both times I had to queue for 1-2 hours to sign on. I imagine it depends where you live. I signed on in Dun Laoghaire. The annual signing takes place over three days with what day you sign on on being decided alphabetically depending on your surname. It still only takes a few seconds to actually sign on but the queue is out the door, around the courtyard and back on to the street.

In my experience, once you inform the staff in your local Social Welfare office that you are signing on for credits and not looking for any handouts, they will have no problem setting you up for an annual form signing until the appropriate pension age - assuming you have sufficient PRSI payments.

The question I have is around the benefit of signing annually for credits. I have a small 'unearned' income on which I pay PAYE, PRSI and USC, and believe I have already made sufficient years 'normal' contributions in order to qualify for a full state pension. I do it just to be on the safe side, however I'm unsure if it's necessary. What benefits could I be missing out on if I stop signing?

Last edited:
boscod,
suggest ,
1. write to social welfare , Buncrana Co Donegal quote your oosn number and request your contribution statement, you can then work out your yearly average etc to see where you are really at.
2. I think if you stop signing you will not be credited for future pension , so I would not stop signing until you have clarity over 1.

boscod,
suggest ,
1. write to social welfare , Buncrana Co Donegal quote your oosn number and request your contribution statement, you can then work out your yearly average etc to see where you are really at.
2. I think if you stop signing you will not be credited for future pension , so I would not stop signing until you have clarity over 1.

Can vouch for the on-line request form that Social Welfare provide, it is efficient and obviously free https://www.welfare.ie/en/Pages/secure/RequestSIContributionRecord.aspx

This is more detailed info on what you need to supply to Social Welfare to enable you to get your statement if you are writing to them:

16. How can I get a copy of my social insurance record?
You can request a copy of your social insurance record

or

• by writing to our Central Records Section at the address below, and telling us your:
    • PPS Number
    • Name
    • Address
    • Date of Birth
    • Birth Surname (if you are a married woman)
    • Mother’s Birth Surname
    • Pre-1979 Insurance Number (if you worked in Ireland pre-1979)
    • Telephone number (in case we need to contact you)
Central Records
Department of Social Protection
McCarter’s Road
Ardarvan
Buncrana
Co. Donegal
LoCall 1890 690 690

Back