Sign on bonus

There's a revenue guide to what to do. It's explained in section 5 here. The employee repays the net amount and the employer does a payroll entry with negative pay and negative tax to balance everything.

BTW Brendan's solution further up would result in revenue footing the bill for the employee's undue bonus which, apart from that not making sense, would be flagged by the paye system as the gross pay and tax figures wouldn't tally with the employee's tax credits.
That's great it deals with the exact situation. Thanks for all your help. I know the employee could walk away but I think it's unlikely as it's a relatively small industry.

That's great it deals with the exact situation. Thanks for all your help. I know the employee could walk away but I think it's unlikely as it's a relatively small industry.
We offer a bonus after X time in employment, say €5k after a year and another €10k after 2 years. The same goes for finder's fees, when an employee finds/gets another good person we give the finder a bonus after 1 and 2 years as long as the person they recommended is still working here.

I really don't like signing on bonuses.

Back