Should I register as a Landlord

Martinslan

I bought an apartment in Dublin and our student son is living there. A friend of his wants to move in and pay rent of €500 plus esb/ntl share of bills. Should I register as a landlord. and if yes where and how do I do this.
What are the pros and cons of involved.

thanks in advance..
Slán
Martin

Yes, well probably. See the http://www.prtb.ie/ site. This seems like a marginal case that makes people question whether it's worthwhile registering, however registering is for your benefit as much as the tenants.

The pros are that your rights, and the rights of your tenant, are protected.

The con is that it costs 70 Euro, I believe, to register.

If you don't register you won't be able to receive mortgage interest relief, not sure if this is a pro or a con. It's certainly a big stick. Yours is probably a strange situation in that I don't think you're classed as an investor while you're just renting out the place to your son, whilst you will be as soon as the tenant moves in. Open to correction, but I believe there may be more cons to that situation from a tax perspective.

Given that you are obtaining income from rent then yes you must register with the PRTB.

There are penalties if you do not register. It costs juts €70 to register.

ninsaga

what about rent a room? i know its not a PPR so it might not be possible to do it,if you avail of rent a room do you still have to register with prtb?

bearishbull said:
what about rent a room? i know its not a PPR so it might not be possible to do it,if you avail of rent a room do you still have to register with prtb?

rent a room is only available for your ppr , so doesn't apply here...

Thanks to all for the advise. I have now visited the PRTB web site and it makes interesting reading.I would have thought that there would be a lot more registered landlords in inner city Dublin (2,4,6 & 8) than are listed on the Web Site !!! However that's a different story. Interesting fact from the web site is that's it is €70 for each letting not just a once off fee.
Slán
Martin

Back