Home Should I get rid of Accidental Cover + Increase Excess?

Happy Girl

I would be grateful for any opinions on the following.
I am considering taking accidental damage cover on house contents off the policy and increasing the excess from 250 to 1,000.

Reason: Reduces my policy from 508euro to 350euro.

My Logic. Even if I did had accidental damage cover and needed to claim on say a damaged suite of furniture I think I probably would not in light of the effect it would have on my premium the following year. I would probably end up paying the insurance money that I would have received on the suite over the next 5-7yrs by way of increased premiums. It's a bit like my take on health insurance. Not too interested in doctors day-to-day cover just want to have it there in case of emergency health prob - with regard to house ins just want to have it there in the event of a major emergency i.e. fire/burst pipes/break-in/etc.

I would try and get the best quotation available including accidental damage cover before deciding to reduce cover. Accidental damage cover covers accidental damage to pipes, freezers etc as well as cover for the furniture. If there is that much in the difference, than you can decide on whether to tahe the additional risk but AD cover is beneficial if you can get it at the right price.

www.powerinsurances.ie

Thats what I have done, no accidental damage and a large excess. Its a small additional risk to take and your premium probbaly would go up anyways if you did have to make a claim.

You don't have to take out every option on insurance claims.

Back