Self employed - changing from UK to Irish tax system

domscan

I moved back to ireland about 6 months ago and I'm still self employed in the UK via my Uk registered limited company (I'm the sole employee). I work from home over here and fly back for a couple of days every few weeks at most.

To date I have paid corporation tax in the UK on profits and income tax via self assessment.
Anyway I guess its time I started registering/paying tax in Ireland given I'm now staying here permanently and will be shortly resident for tax purposes (i.e. 183 days)

I believe one option may be to set myself up as self employed here and then invoice my UK company on a monthly basis as a consultant and provider of services for this company and then pay tax and PRSI on this income in Ireland.

However I'm wondering if another way would be for me to set up a branch of my UK company here, then register as an employer and pay myself (the only employee) a monthly PAYE salary with taxes collected at source and then my company can pay these quarterly to collector general..

There's no point me having an Irish limited company as it wouldn't be practical for my business or clients as I'm not looking at developing any business here in this particular field.

Not sure if this latter option is even possible and its no doubt a more expensive/convoluted one (employer PRSI, payroll etc) but I'm attracted to it as it would provide me with monthly payslips as a PAYE worker which would be better for mortgages. I currently have 3 years UK self employment record but I'm concerned setting up here as self employed sends me back to the beginning

Anyone have any experience of this or see any issues or alternatives ?

Domscan

Yes, we have seen many cases of this scenario before.

Would you consider dissolving the UK company and just setting up an Irish company here . The Irish Company will employee you as an Irish Resident.

Hi,
Just wondering what you ended up doing?
I am in a similar situation - I have run my own UK limited company for many years, and have just moved back to Ireland. I now work remotely for UK clients. Due to my contractual situation I can't just close my UK company and operate through an Irish company, so I need to keep employing myself from the UK company (for an indeterminate amount of time.)
So, I was going to register as an employer with the Irish revenue, and use an Irish payroll provider to do my payments here.
I'm still trying to figure out how to handle it on the UK side as different parts of HMRC are giving me conflicting advice! I hope I can get a straightforward way to do this without loads of bureaucracy and all sorts of double-taxation reclaims, etc.
(I would prefer to pay Irish PRSI if possible to start building up contributions here.)
Thanks.

I'm still trying to figure out how to handle it on the UK side as different parts of HMRC are giving me conflicting advice! I hope I can get a straightforward way to do this without loads of bureaucracy and all sorts of double-taxation reclaims, etc.
(I would prefer to pay Irish PRSI if possible to start building up contributions here.)
Thanks.

Get proper, independent tax advice here in Ireland.

Don't rely on Revenue nor HMRC as they routinely disclaim "advice" given by their staff as and when it suits them.

Your UK-registered company will be likely to have corporation tax registration, return and tax liability obligations in Ireland if it (as seems likely from your post) is now being operated and managed from here.

Last edited:
Back