Health Insurance Searching for a better priced Health Insurance plan

Gorteen

Is there an equivalent resource such as Bonkers.ie to compare the various options for Health Insurance?
A broker has offered to search the available plans but it comes at a cost of €75.
Our family Health Insurance provides cover for myself (age 60), my wife (age 55), and our three adult children (ages 25,23,20).
Our renewal quote is €7348.20, broken down across the family as follows; €1717.80, €1717.80, €1717.80, €1336.10, €858.70.
Our plan is 4D Health 2 with Irish Life.
The sickener (no pun intended) is that, with the exception of a couple of MRI scans over the past 25 years, we have never had reason to call on our Health Insurance. The ageing process makes that less likely in the next 25 years, but I want to make sure I have the most suitable policy for any emerging health needs.

Any advice or comments would be appreciated

I've heard Charlie Weston consumer journalist with Irish Independent recommend these guys. No idea how good they are. Run by a guy called Dermot Goode.

Our renewal quote is €7348.20

When you are spending that type of money it would be well worth your while to invest €75.00 for professional advice. I think the fee is higher on www.totalhealthcover.ie There can also be a waiting time for totalhealthcover of a few weeks.

A comparison here for your policy and a fairly competitive one with VHI PMI3613. Another good price plan with VHI is PMI4316 if you want to run a comparison on the Health Insurance Authority site yourself.

Sorry I can't give you any advice on another policy with Irish Life as I have only ever held health insurance with VHI.

A few immediate observations on the comparison:

With Irish Life they mention a co-payment of €2,000 on orthopaedic procedures whereas VHI mention only 80% cover provided for orthopaedic and ophthalmic procedures. Depending on the cost of the procedure such as either hip or knee replacement it could amount to a lot to be paid out. As we age this aspect of our cover can prove important. Best to discuss with the insurance companies or broker. It has been mentioned on AAM previously that some of the hospitals have in the past waived the difference i.e. the 20% or €2,000 but this may not be available now.

Looking at the comparison that I provided on the day-to-day cover the excess generally does appear lower with VHI.

Might be worth your while to have a listen to one or two of the podcasts here on AAM.

Shout if you need to know anything else.

When you are spending that type of money it would be well worth your while to invest €75.00 for professional advice. I think the fee is higher on www.totalhealthcover.ie There can also be a waiting time for totalhealthcover of a few weeks.

A comparison here for your policy and a fairly competitive one with VHI PMI3613. Another good price plan with VHI is PMI4316 if you want to run a comparison on the Health Insurance Authority site yourself.

Sorry I can't give you any advice on another policy with Irish Life as I have only ever held health insurance with VHI.

A few immediate observations on the comparison:

With Irish Life they mention a co-payment of €2,000 on orthopaedic procedures whereas VHI mention only 80% cover provided for orthopaedic and ophthalmic procedures. Depending on the cost of the procedure such as either hip or knee replacement it could amount to a lot to be paid out. As we age this aspect of our cover can prove important. Best to discuss with the insurance companies or broker. It has been mentioned on AAM previously that some of the hospitals have in the past waived the difference i.e. the 20% or €2,000 but this may not be available now.

Looking at the comparison that I provided on the day-to-day cover the excess generally does appear lower with VHI.

Might be worth your while to have a listen to one or two of the podcasts here on AAM.

Shout if you need to know anything else.
I agree with the above a once off fee to point you in right direction. I have only experienced laya and their corporate plans are very good. Aldo their daily excess if you want private room in the hi Tec hospitals.

Remember you don't have to have everyone on the same plans

Laya plans

Back