Home Scratched windows, am I covered?

CORK SAN

Recently my patio door windows were vanadised. Someone made lots of deep scratches into the glass panels. There was no break in. I rang a window replacement company and was informed that my home insurance would only cover glass breakages not scratches. The window panels have deep scratches all over. I had the Gardai inspect the damage which they classified as "criminal damage". Will my home insurance cover their replacement since these are scratched windows and not broken?

Read the policy or contact your broker. You might have Malicious damage cover, if the matter was reported to Gardai.

Insurance is one of those things that everybody thinks they are an expert in and quite happily give advice to anybody who will listen to them. Infact, if they have been giving flawed advice for a living for four of the previous eight years, our Financial Regulator with give them regulatory status depsite them having no professional insurance qualifications whatsoever.

I make this point in order to emphasise to the OP that some guy in a window replacement company is not qualified to give advice on insurance ( except of course if he asks the regulator to give him regulatory status!! ) and the OP shouldnt listen to him/her. When it comes to policy interpretation, people should talk to the professionals...their Insurance company or their brokers. Rant over.

I do of course realise that the OP did post the question in order to allay concerns raised by the "Insurance Expert" in the window company. My view is that the if the scratches were maliciously caused and in accordance with the policy conditions, the matter was immediately reported to the Gardai, then if the OP has a standard household policy, the damage repair cost will most likely be covered by the policy.

Dear all,thanks very much for everyones replies. I really appreciate it.
I have now had a chance to read my policy and there is nothing specific in relation to windows.
What really annoys me is that there is a possability that I will need to pay an excess of 275 Euro and my no claims discount on my next home insurance renewal will be 0%(now at 30%), for damage that I didn't cause.
I am hoping that Claimsman's comment of "My view is that the if the scratches were maliciously caused and in accordance with the policy conditions, the matter was immediately reported to the Gardai then if the OP has a standard household policy, the damage repair cost will most likely be covered by the policy" will be the insurance companies position. Fingers crossed, I will call the insurance company Monday morning.

Dear all,thanks very much for everyones replies. I really appreciate it.
I have now had a chance to read my policy and there is nothing specific in relation to windows.
What really annoys me is that there is a possability that I will need to pay an excess of 275 Euro and my no claims discount on my next home insurance renewal will be 0%(now at 30%), for damage that I didn't cause.
I am hoping that Claimsman's comment of "My view is that the if the scratches were maliciously caused and in accordance with the policy conditions, the matter was immediately reported to the Gardai then if the OP has a standard household policy, the damage repair cost will most likely be covered by the policy" will be the insurance companies position. Fingers crossed, I will call the insurance company Monday morning.

I will be very surprised if it is not insurers position.

However, the level of the excess and the loss of the no claims bonus may suggest that there will be little if any financial benefit in making a claim. In your position, i would check out the price of replacing the glass and compare this to the level of the excess and the loss of the NCB.

What you will also have to consider is that if you wish to change insurers in the future you will have to advise your new insurers of any previous claims. If you have any previous claims, they may not take your business and you wont be able to avail of lower premium or introductory offers that they are offering.

Back