Savings account advice needed

flanner

Hi ya

We are looking to open another savings account, we have reached the quota in our savings account with Halifax to get the highest interest so we want to set up a new one.

Need to gain access to the account but could possibly live with in and around 30 days notice one as it would mean we wouldnt dabble into it.

Need the highest interest one but dont even know where to start looking.

Any advice???

Need to gain access to the account but could possibly live with in and around 30 days notice one as it would mean we wouldnt dabble into it.

Do you want a notice account? or could you do a term deposit.

Investec offer the highest interest notice account. Anglo offer the highest on demand rate.

OK well basically we are saving for a wedding.

We have reached the 10k in halifax (well the 9970 as we dont want to lower the interest rate)

We now was to set up another account the highest interest we can get at the moment. We are willing to move the 10k to account that we dont need access straight away. We wouldnt mind having to give up to months notice or something like that. As wedding is next May (2010) i think that putting it away for a year would be a bit risky as we would need to pay more money within the year.

Hope i am making sense, from what i can figure out maybe the anglo irish regular savigns account would be best. I could be wrong 7.3% seems to be too good to be true.

All info greatly appreciated

Regular saver accounts might not be the best for your lump sum - you can save only €1,000.00 a month with Anglo but the 7.3% is over a full year. Probably as good as you'll get for regular saving but not for a lump sum. Also there's a penalty with Anglo if you make a withdrawal within the first 6 months. Check out the best buys here, then check out the institutions website paying particular attention to the terms and conditions.

Last edited:
I presume you have the €9970 in a Halifax frexisaver account, which has a current interest rate of 3.5% and likely to drop further, so perhaps not the highest interest around. Have a look at the Best Buys. Also watch the length of time you have the money in the flexisaver account. The interest rate drops dramatically on the first anniversary, currently 1.6% after one year I think.

OK well basically we are saving for a wedding.

We have reached the 10k in halifax (well the 9970 as we dont want to lower the interest rate)

We now was to set up another account the highest interest we can get at the moment. We are willing to move the 10k to account that we dont need access straight away. We wouldnt mind having to give up to months notice or something like that. As wedding is next May (2010) i think that putting it away for a year would be a bit risky as we would need to pay more money within the year.

The best return you will get for your 10K on demand is with Anglo at 4.75%.

Back