Road Widening - Benefits for giving land ?

chewyluey

Hi All

A local committee are campaigning to have a (very narrow) local road stretch of a mile or two widened and it will most likely go ahead. This road runs outside a house and farm property that I own. I presume I will be approached soon and asked to sign an agreement or otherwise.

I am certainly in favour of this as the road is narrow and dangerous. However, I don't want to just sign it away without maximising the benefit to myself (it would mean the removal of ~25 meters of a ditch/field which borders the road). I have two agricultural gates on this stretch and I presume It would be within reason to ask for replacement of same with stone pillars and a wooden railing to join them.

What are my rights in this ? Does this fit in with compulsory purchase ? Could I get written guarantee of what will replace the current setup in advance of signing an agreement ? Any thing else to be wary of ?

Thanks!

PS I have seen this on citizens information web site
[broken link removed]

a friend of mine has property on the naas to kildare road near ambassador hotel. when development started to widen road there, the family were compensated and also the wall that was removed from their boundary line was rebuilt in whatever amount of feet was agreed. if you agree then its presumably win win. you should liase with the county council or local t.d. and check but would'nt understand why you won't be compensated.

I might be wrong but does the Irish Farmers Association have some sort of involvement in these type of negotiations?

Back