Revolut anti-fraud measures are no joke

arbitron

Today I needed to transfer a few hundred euro to our regular painter for a completed job. I usually send it to his bank account but said I would transfer it via Revolut this time.

The app asked me several multiple-choice questions about the intended recipient (do you know them? do you trust them?), the nature of the transfer (is it for goods/services? have you already received the goods/services?), as well as queries about fraud (are you making this transfer of your own free will? is anyone prompting you to answer these questions? are you being put under time pressure?), and various others.

There were then several pop-ups, including a short animation on the dangers of online financial scams.

I then had to acknowledge everything and type in my full name.

At first it was annoying but it was actually a good way to really make me think and double check. Much better than AIB/Bank of Ireland who only flag things after the fact and proceed to block your card.

This is the Bank of Ireland warning before you attempt to set up a new payee.

An incredible deal you were not expecting? Too rushed to get other quotes?

Stop and think. This is likely to be a scam.​

• Discuss the deal with someone you trust.
  • Research it, and any reviews of the seller. Compare quotes.
  • Check their returns policy.
  • Check items in person, if you can, before paying.
  • Can you pay a deposit online first, and the balance on collection?
  • Seller not using PayPal or another trusted platform? This is a risk.
  • When paying, use a debit or credit card. These have better protection than if you pay directly to an account.
If you are not 100% sure, stop now. If you continue and this is a scam, you are very unlikely to get your money back.

Back