Revolut and travel abroad

DannyBoyD

I had the experience of having my Revolut card frozen when trying to pay for a taxi while on holiday in Europe recently. I used another card and that was fine; but I didn't use my Revolut again.

It got me wondering if there's a 'notify' option that you are travelling so this doesn't happen? Same as you would do for CC / Bank debit card etc.,

I had the experience of having my Revolut card frozen when trying to pay for a taxi while on holiday in Europe recently. I used another card and that was fine; but I didn't use my Revolut again.

It got me wondering if there's a 'notify' option that you are travelling so this doesn't happen? Same as you would do for CC / Bank debit card etc.,
I used mine in New Zealand and Australia some years ago without issue, I didn’t notify them I was travelling so not sure DannyBoyD maybe it’s different now.

Recently travelled to New Zealand via USA. Before travelling, I converted € to US$ and NZ$. No issue whatsoever, and we used it daily in NZ, until we landed back in USA and booked an Uber. Seems Uber tried a deposit and/or an erroneous fare but by the time I got to the hotel, the card was frozen. It was simple to unfreeze the card and no problem after that. Contacted Uber, which reimbursed one of the charges. You shouldn't have to notify them that you are travelling, credit card companies do not require this.

Get an N26 card as a backup. Also a Curve card is very useful as it acts as a cover card for all of your other cards and offers no cost foreign currency payments. The more cards the better.

They may not require it, but I've always done so & avoided any hassle thereby.

Interestingly, it was Uber I had a problem w also.
Even if you notify banks it's not a guarantee. I always told BofI and AIB when I was going away but was still blocked several times, usually in the US.

There is a location based security feature on Revolut. Phone GPS must be on. I assume it uses your phone location and is triggered if the card is used at a different location. I'd imagine it has to distinguish between a transaction at a terminal and an online one.

@AndroidMan is correct - there's stamp duty on debit cards too (up to €5 each)
The charge is 12 cent per ATM transaction. Multiple Debit cards can be held without incurring any government charges. You simply just use one card for ATM withdrawals.

Last edited:
The charge is 12 cent per ATM transaction. Multiple Debit cards can be held without incurring any government charges. You simply just use one card for ATM withdrawals.
Interesting - I hadn't realised there's no charge for a given card if you don't use the ATM function (I should have read the link I posted more carefully!)
As you say, if you manage things as you describe in your last post, the max stamp duty you pay is €5

Back