Returned Postal Money Order

pudds

I have a returned AnPost postal money order. It was made payable to the 'courts service'

The order itself has printed on it 'account payee only'

Will the post office cash it for me or can I lodge it to my bank account.

Its only for €10

The post office will not pay the order. But, you can lodge it to your bank account.

Went to the bank today with this and they refused to accept it because of it being marked 'account payee only' on it. They suggested I send it back to the courts service and request them to issue me
a replacement made out in my name.

I went into the post office and asked the girl if there was anyway they could cash this for me.
She asked me if I had bought it here. She looked up her screen and printed out details, I guess of the
transaction on a till receipt. Then went into the back office, came back and got me to cross out the 'courts system' name on it and write my own and then sign the back of it.

To be honest I can see why the bank would not let me lodge it. This was UB

Has anyone here actually lodged a cheque/money order, marked account payee, that was not in their
name?

I never thought you would be able to lodge it but didn't want to be contradicting Leper :)

Highly unlikely a bank would knowingly lodge anything crossed and payable to Courts Service or anything else into any account other than one in that name. If it slipped through a machine lodgment that might be only hope but I think they are probably checked too, fast lodgement box ones are definitely checked.

If it slipped through un-noticed would the bank still get paid for it?

Yes, because once it had gone through then there is practically nowhere for the error to be picked up again.

Back