Requirement to have joint executors account

hhobbit

Myself and my daughter are joint executors of my uncles straightforward affairs and have already extracted probate ourselves.

For reasons of convenience, it would be much simpler not to have a separate executors account. A both to sign joint account cannot be used for online transfers afaik.

So would the be legit to pay the beneficiaries out of my personal account, assuming the coexecutor agrees? All online transactions would be easily checkable. I can't find any legal requirement for a joint account. Revenue could not say yay nor nay when I phoned up. They said write in and ask which I've done.

Thoughts?

As executors you are required to harvest and protect all the deceased's assets including money, and e.g. mixing up the deceased's money with your own in your own account arguably is not protecting it, and is not particularly transparent. Also you will not be able to lodge cheques made out to '[your name] executor' or 'the executors of the estate of X (deceased)' in your personal a/c. See this post http://www.askaboutmoney.com/threads/executors-account.86016/. You can make SWIFT payments out of a joint signature executors' a/c, but not to Revenue for some reason (or at least that is the case, in my experience, with permanentTSB).

Last edited:
Back