Reporting Landlord for tax evasion

bacchus said:
Suspicion leads to "minority report" (hope you have seen it)
I haven't seen that film but I believe that it deals with punishing people in anticipation of the crimes that they will/might commit at some point in the future. I would argue that there's a clear difference between this sort of "prior restraint" and reporting genuine suspicions of criminal wrongdoing to the relevant authorities.

Hi all, Opened a bit of a can of worms here. In relation to some of the questions raised above, the rent charged is possibly a little below the going rate for the area (by €30/month, max), but my friend had just reckoned it was a good deal and had to get somewhere fast.
In relation to rent tax credit, yes they have this from another rented house. When i was renting i found that you apply for this tax credit and you still had it years later, even though you could have moved to ten different rented houses.
The landlord did not ask the tenant to forego this tax credit, or to give free/reduced rent etc. The landlord did say to the tenant that he had got a disabled persons grant and it is obvious from the apartment that it is for disabled/elderly people.

Report the landlord.
If they are in receipt of Rental Income and declaring it then they have absolutely nothing to worry about. If they aren't declaring it then they will have to and the tax burden for the rest of us is reduced accordingly.

Tax evasion is wrong! If taxes are unjust or excessive, campaign to have them removed, don't evade the tax.

If the landlord is evading tax this is not a victimless crime - the tenant suffers, the exchequer suffers, the Landlords who comply with legislation and observe their responsibilities are disadvantaged.

Purple said:
Call the Revenue commissioners office and tell them that X is renting a property to you, that you are paying Y per month and that you don't think he/she is paying tax.
You will have their PPS number from your rent allowance form.

I doubt a landlord who was evading tax would give you his PPS number, failure to provide it on request is probably a strong indicator the landlord is not reporting the rental income. As others have mentioned the Revenue won't necessarily need the PPS number in any event just enough details to identify the person.

Back