Renting house with attic conversion

W

WestBrit

Hi,
We're just buying a house with 3 bedrooms + an attic conversion. We have been advised that as it is not a 'habitable space', the vendors couldn't advertise it as a bedroom, and nor can we when we sell the house. Fair enough.

However, we are planning to rent out this house for the next 2 years before we occupy it. Does anyone know what our rights and obligations are with respect to the attic conversion? e.g., can we put a bed in this room? Or a sofa? - and would these have insurance implications? Or should we advise prospective tenants that it should only be used for storage? If we can put a bed in the room, presumably we are still similary obliged to advertise as a 3 bed rather than a 4 bed?

Hope someone can help or at least point me in the right direction.
Regards,
WB.

Well in the http://www.prtb.ie/ site, under Landlords Rights and Obligations

Regulations under the Housing (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 1992 oblige landlords to:

· Comply with the minimum statutory standards which govern the quality and condition of the accommodation, facilities and appliances

I would say this would compel you to insist that the room isn't used as a bedroom.

Sounds fair to me - thanks for the info & link.

Regards,
WB

There are more onerous regulations in relation to fire safety standards that apply in the case of an attic conversion- given that these regs. are presumably not being met either it would be foolhardy in the very least to even consider using it as a bedroom.

Back