Rental Accomodation Scheme.

Gatekeeper

Hi,

Am just wondering what the maximum rent limits are for the Kildare area under the above scheme. Have a property to rent in the area and two young people (not married), with one child, also have male partner's child to stay on occasion, are interested in renting it , seem to think they may be entitled to rent allowance of 1,000 euros per month under the scheme but as far as I can see their max rent allowance would be 700 euros per month. Also wondering what other landlord's experience of this scheme is? I would like to have an input as to the tenants who Kildare County Council would consider putting into the property. Do they allow this?
Would be v grateful for any information re this post. Thanks in advance.

Hi,

Am just wondering what the maximum rent limits are for the Kildare area under the above scheme. Have a property to rent in the area and two young people (not married), with one child, also have male partner's child to stay on occasion, are interested in renting it , seem to think they may be entitled to rent allowance of 1,000 euros per month under the scheme but as far as I can see their max rent allowance would be 700 euros per month. Also wondering what other landlord's experience of this scheme is? I would like to have an input as to the tenants who Kildare County Council would consider putting into the property. Do they allow this?
Would be v grateful for any information re this post. Thanks in advance.

Hi Gatekeeper,

Have been involved with South Dublin County Council for past 7yrs under their RAS scheme. You get 92% of the going rent in the area.
Under this scheme you the landlord is responsible for all repairs maintenance etc.

Just gone onto the long term 10yr lease with same Council. Under this scheme you get 80% of the going rent in the area but the Council takes care of all maintenance etc.

Go onto Daft.ie and take a look at going rent rates in your area of concern and work it out for yourself. Thats exactly what the Council do. Dont be afraid to haggle.

Hope this is of some help.

Gatekeeper

You appear to be mixing up the Rental Accommodation Scheme as described by DCD and Rent Allowance which is a separate scheme.

Under the RAS - the council takes over your house and lets it to whomever they choose.

Under Rental Allowance, tenants apply for Rent Allowance and then rent from a private landlord as normal.

Brendan

Thanks for that, Brendan.

Gatekeeper,
Brendan spot on with that.
Should you want to participate in the RAS or Long term leasing schemes you can simply phone up the council and they would most probably bite the hand off you there is such high demand.
If you have identified suitable tenants on Rental allowance you can work with them and the council to put in one of the above arrangements.

DC.D, many thanks for your input. Have contacted local council but they were not particularly helpful.

Under the RAS - the council takes over your house and lets it to whomever they choose.

Where you already have a tenant and they want to join RAS you can also opt for a contract that ends when that tenancy ends i.e. the council cannot put in whoever they choose. This is important for a lot of landlords as they want control over who lives on their property.

See Tenancy by Tenancy Arrangements here - [broken link removed]

The link above is from South Dublin County Council. I don't know if it's available in Kildare.

Back