Laya Renewal with Laya is due on 01/12/16.

Pugmister

Hi All,

Renewal with Laya is due on 01/12/16.

Current policy is details are
Father, age 73 on Total Health Select with renewal price €1,929.66
Mother, age 67 on Total Health Select with renewal price €1,929.66

Two children, mid and early thirties on Flex 250 explore at €949.07 each.

Total renewal price is 5,757.

Health Insurance has always been a bit of a minefield as none of us have a huge understanding of policies. It is hugely important as my mum has had a number of prolonged stays in St Patrick's in recent years so they like the have a s much coverage as possible.

Just wondering should we renew or is their equivalent or better policies available for either the same price or cheaper.

Ive been doing some research today and think my mother should stay on current policy but my father should move to simplicity. Psychiatric cover on Simplicity is 100 days per year whereas I think psychiatric on Total Health Select is 100 days per claim. Two years ago my mother was in St Pats for 3 months and 2 months in the same year so we would need cover for both.

Tryin to find suitable policies for my sister and myself is a little more difficult, the sheer volume in mind boggling.

Pugmister,

Firstly, for yourself and your sister an alternative plan with Laya is as follows;
1. 'Flex 375 Explore' price 822pa; public, private and hi-tech cover included, which is similar to your current plan but the excess payable
for each admission to a private/hi-tech hospital is 375. Day case excess is 125 per visit. There is no excess payable in any public hospital.
The higher excess amount of 375 may or may not justify the price reduction in premium overall.

2. Glohealth Bloom Plus; price 887pa( price increase from 1/12/2016) public, private and Beacon hospital cover, max excess 300 x 2 per year,
day case excess 75 per visit. Note; there is no cover for Blackrock Clinic or Mater Private on this plan, something to be aware of when choosing.

3. Glohealth Kick Off Plus; price 866pa( price increase from 1/12/2016) public, private and Beacon hospital cover, excess 300 for every admission
to a private or Beacon hospital, day case excess 75 per visit. Again, no cover for Blackrock Clinic or Mater Private on this plan.

[broken link removed]

For your father, Simplicity plan would be a very good alternative option. For your mother, according to the membership booklet for Total Health Select, this plan also covers 100 days 'per calendar year' in a psychiatric hospital. I would contact Laya about this to confirm if there is any difference between these two plans regarding inpatient psychiatric cover in detail.
Depending on this clarification, Simplicity plan may be an option also for your mother.

[broken link removed]

Snowyb

Many thanks Snowyb. We double checked with Laya and psychiatric cover across the two plans is identical so both my parents opted to switch to Simplicity saving almost €1800. Myself and our sister stayed on our current plans as we didnt think 375 excess was worth the minor savings.

Back